Favorite preferred program for creating schematics ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

I may have asked before but still need  a program to make schematics
what is anyone here using & like ?

P.S. doesn't have to work in THIS new format

I use Eagle. It's fast and stable, and I am way quicker with it than with any other program I've used. I really enjoy using it very much. If you only want to draw schematics, there is no downside with using the free version.

I was borderline ready to accuse you of trolling!

:)

Eagle. Some folks are moving to KiCad now that CERN are funding it. However, once you master the Eagle interface, you attain Jedi status. I keep a number of scripts that I use for generating pdf's, hiding labels and zooming to any unrouted wires. Fairly awesome stuff.

/R

I don't intend or expect to  do anything complex, just
A]  make nicer than hand drawn schematics to save on the computer
B] maybe have the ability to easily & cheaply make the odd pcb
thanks for the replies so far

What about multisim blue? I downloaded it but I didn't have the time to try it out, should be very alike multisim I guess which I like it, but now is free. And if you are ordering from mouser you have one less step to do so! I can't use that feature here in Arg but still... I used Eagle and have most my projects there, but is much easier to make a simulation in  multisim, those virtual instruments are quite good for fast and simple simulations, and then you have all the usual spice stuff there. I guess multisim blue still have all that stuff.

JS

I was referring to the online digikey type version, where a friend lost his work, not like a local computer
crash but the mercy of the interweb!

Been use labcenters proteus and it works well. Then I moved into the new gig and here we use altium designer.  At a 7000.00  license for Altium I wouldn't suggest it but proteus has done me well and I know others who use it with much success.

I am long past the point of being willing to learn a whole new set of secret handshakes. So as long as I can make serviceable designs with Eagle I will keep using it. I wouldn't mind better (smaller) design rule limits, but don't do that many boards for it to matter.

I do not defend Eagle I had to use it to service a design  over a decade ago when I was supporting a friends DSP product. I got a free eagle chair in connection with that consulting and am still using it while it is getting long in the tooth (not the newest version of Eagle)..

JR

I went for Diptrace as the user interface is much more adequate then Eagle. I tried KiCad, but at an earlier stage at least I did not find it very intuitive. Diptrace has a lot less parts in the libraries, but you can fairly easily import eagle libraries into Diptrace, so not a real problem.

Eagle's 80 by 100mm (free use) limitation was unreasonable, but I quickly ran out of Pins (Diptrace free use limit) so I ha do bite the bullet an buy a license. I have not regretted it...

- Michael

Latest posts

Back