Conn Strobe Tuner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
some guitar techs still like this tuner,

kind of a classic circuit, like a GenRad inductance bridge, ahead of its time, so still usable after time passes it buy,

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 37
looks like somebody left a can of Starkist Tuna inside here,  probably a roadie for the Allman Bros or somebody,

labor intensive construction, kind of like a Blaupunkt car stereo, ever seen the indise of one of those? sheesh.  :eek:

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 44
power switches lead a tough life, mechanical and electrical stress, over and over again,

this sw is mounted on a wafer switch, don't wanna hassle getting a new one and spending all day wiring it up,

so we just jumper the sw and put it on a power strip, case dismissed....

Attachments

• c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 36
Wow, I have one of these.  Whenever I need to set guitar harmonics, I use the Conn for the precise locations.  It's easy to see on the strobe  light.  Much quicker than my roland tuner.   

cool info on the Conn stuff hear>

http://www.mts.net/~smythe/st-11.htm

Forum here>

http://www.petersontuners.com/iforum/lofiversion/index.php?f9.html

hard to read schemo>

Attachments

• st-11-17.jpg
    st-11-17.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 23
> hard to read schemo

There's a less-grey but still JPEGed version in one of your links.

Top-left must be a master oscillator.

By the connections to the C...B 12-way switch, the dividers and diode matrix must form a top-octave generator (never seen this type).

Top-right is a very funky power amplifier and 2-phase motor for the rotor (tuna can).

Signal In is in the middle and gets a basic 3-transistor amplifier.

Bottom right are the Neons, and their amplifier, which I guess can be switched to the boosted Sig In.

I think the extra junk to the right of the Sig In booster is an octave divider for the "+2" function. The highest notes use the narrowest stripes and they are just hard to read. "+2" transposes the notes in bands 7 8 to band 5 6, where the stripes are wider.

Bottom center is a thing called a "transformer", which is too tricky and complicated for present company.

There may be a tap off this mysterious "transformer" which feeds 60/120Hz to the neons for calibration. (Do you trust your local Hydro to be more accurate than your conductor's pitch-pipe? Maybe today. Long ago line frequency wandered hour to hour, they just got the right Cycles Per Day so electric clocks didn't drift.)

Latest posts

Back