Removing a stuck toroid

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ave Crux

Hey guys, I scored a nice deal on an old non functioning rack equipment (for TV broadcast I think) --- but I am only using the rack chassis to use for my project. It came with frames inside to mount PCB, ground, and the toroid. However,  the toroid is stuck there pretty well. I unscrewed everything that might be holding it, I tried to hammer it out,  but got paranoid it might explode or something  ;D

Any tips on how I can take this out? I would like to use that spot for my own toroid. It seems like it's stuck with some kind of super glue, it's solid on there...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Use some heat, maybe boiling water helps, if not you could keep raising the temp. If it's some glue will become loose at some point.

JS

Maybe it's screwed onto a bolt fixed to the chassis? have you tried turning it?

Why not just use the toroid as-is for something real - 12-0-12V at 14VA is a pretty good starting point for many things audio...

Jakob E.

> Why not just use the toroid as-is

If you can see the too-large too-dim photos: the leads are cut off flush.

At this point, if it is truly bonded, it may be easier to chuck it and re-make that panel.

It is probably potting compound, can't see from those photos. Strange way to hold it in place, just use a chisel and some force, it won't explode  ;D

Maybe try to heat up a Cutter (dunno the exact name in english) wich has its knife all the way out and slowly insert between Toroid and frame, making sure it's well flushed, a cutter like this:
http://www.leboutte.be/images/catalogue/outillage/cutter-plastic-grip.jpg

take out, reinsert etc... until you have it half unconnected, and maybe it will be easier to pull it apart.
Be carefull not to cut yourself of course, and be sure to inhale all the plastic fumes  :p (open the window)

Just an idea....

But like PRR mentionned, the wire are cut pretty short so...

T.

PRR said:
> Why not just use the toroid as-is

If you can see the too-large too-dim photos: the leads are cut off flush.

At this point, if it is truly bonded, it may be easier to chuck it and re-make that panel.

Agree. But I think it's still possible to get to the remains of secondaries with patience, shrink-wrap, and a sharp knife..

The transformer is either screwed down or glued (or possibly both, as gluing probably won't be safe by it self): Get the screw off first - Find center of transformer, and drill through this, from the outside of chassis, with a large (larger than expected bolt dia) drill.

Jakob E.

Back