Transformers for U47/U67/M49/M50 and other Microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Dany. I search and evaluate smaller size cores to use in both BV13 and T14. Once I find a good solution I will let you know.

Best, M

Marik said:
Thank you Dany. I search and evaluate smaller size cores to use in both BV13 and T14. Once I find a good solution I will let you know.

Best, M

you are welcome ,
Best,
DAn,

Hey all
Here are some audio comparisons of  AMI, SAMAR,and Ioaudio  trannys tested in my own C12 and U47 builds.  I recorded the trannys in a bunch of different configurations which are explained the audio. I don't want to say too much to influence peoples findings although it's safe to say the differences are pretty obvious in that the Samar transformers have much less saturation making them more sound more clear and Hi Fi The Ioaudio and Ami were both more colored but both are cool sounds it just depends on what sound your chasing.
Enjoy!

OPR C12 point to point Clone Ami Vs Big core Samar Transformer files

small-tranny2.jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=558044756F0B7A3D!950&authkey=!AK7Sa-iQy795Bgo&ithint=folder%2c

Various U47 Style builds Ioaudio vs Big core Samar Transformer

Here is some more info on the configurations.

U47 6_5_1 ratio Dual ef800 v Samar 12_1 single ef800_

These files are the Ioaudio tranny 6.5:1 ratio tranny in a 47 style circuit running two ef800 in parallel vs the Samar 12:1 transformer running a single ef800

U47 6_5_1 ratio ef800 v Samar 12_1 ratio single ef800_

These files are the Ioaudio tranny 6.5:1 ratio tranny in a 47 style circuit single ef800 vs the Samar 12:1 transformer running a single ef800

U47 6_5_1 ratio paratube

These files are the Ioaudio and Samar trannies with 6.5:1 ratios in a 47 style circuit running Dual ef800 in parallel.

hope this clears things up :)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=558044756F0B7A3D!939&authkey=!AFQ7eortnU8a3Xc&ithint=folder%2c

I'll  copy  my reply from OPR's thread in the microphone section.

C12 first.
I only listened to the (separate) voice and acoustic samples.

Wow. Yup, the difference is pretty obvious. Samar is much more hifi sounding. It sounds more extended, in any case in the lows (my ears took a serious blow after a hearing accident this year, so I'll refrain from the top treble range) and it sounds cleaner, too. I hear a slight scoop in the mids, but that is to be expected from this type of mic. Esses are fine.
AMI sounds lofi in comparison; more middy (and subjectively trebly maybe) and more grainy. Esses are a bit sibilant. The added midrange could be of use, though.
I do like a little character, but here I prefer the Samar.
I'll add that the C12 with the Samar sounds clean(er), but certainly not sterile.
We had a discussion about vintage character, back on page one, which might be interesting to re-read.

I must say I'm impressed with the Samar in the C12.
It looks huge and sounds likewise.

Henk

Back