AKG 451 eb bad capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieckmusic

Hi everyone!!
I believe the capsules are bad on the two AKG 451 eb's I purchased on ebay.  Is that something that's super difficult to swap out??  I was thinking about possibly re-capping any electrolytic caps and putting in new capsules. 

I've built a bunch of projects but never done any mic work, except building a ribbon mic...

I love 451 eb mics on acoustic guitar would love them to work.

Any one out there have a good source for capsules.  I could just send them out to land audio - akg mic repair but that doesn't seem like as much fun...    :) :) :)

If they are truly EB's then they they have CK1 capsules which just unscrew sadly I don't know who repairs those but I'm sure they can be.

right, thanks!  there's a tiny screw that seems to hold on the capsule.  I wonder if there's any benefit in getting an older ck-1 instead of a newer one?  the old 451's sound so great, I definitely dont want these to sound like the newer akg mics....

I'd leave the caps alone. Get capsules re skinned or contact AKG as see if you can buy replacement capsules. If there are faults after the capsules have been sorted then look at the electronics. The mics were made with high quality components the electronic circuits should still be a okay.

bieckmusic said:
right, thanks!  there's a tiny screw that seems to hold on the capsule.  I wonder if there's any benefit in getting an older ck-1 instead of a newer one?  the old 451's sound so great, I definitely dont want these to sound like the newer akg mics....

Yeah those are not EB's they are the later reissue. B spec. They are fine mics though. It surprises me that both capsules are bad! Are you sure that they are getting the right Phantom power?

are you sure it's the capsules?

the preamp in 452s is prone to moisture which can lead to strange popping and crackling sounds.

cleaning the insides and making sure they are completely dry can solve it.

Back