Cue mix in protools

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
Is there an easy way to listen to different cue mixes over the mains in protools. Like a one button push on an analogue console : )
Many Thanks
f

Yes that's the way i do it right now but sometimes in a different setting it would be nice to be able to do it in the box.

Not sure if it can be done with a "one button push" (I'm a bit tired right now, and not in front of that specific DAW). I suppose what you could do is route all items you'd like to monitor to one aux each (in addition to actual DAC outputs) and have the ones you do not want to hear muted. Then you could just swap "un-mutes" and that way hear what's going on. I guess it'd be something like:

Outputs 1-2 = main speakers
Outputs 3-4 = cue mix 1
Outputs 5-6 = cue mix 2

So you route from whatever source you want to add to a cue mix to a dedicated aux. And then the dedicated aux would have something like this:

Aux "Cue Mix 1":

Send to Outputs 3-4
Output to Outputs 1-2

Aux "Cue Mix 2":

Send to Outputs 5-6
Output to Outputs 1-2

In addition to that you would then need another aux for the actual mix; Aux "Full Mix". So your source tracks, say drums, instead of going to Outputs 1-2 would go to aux "Full Mix", and aux "Full Mix" would go to Outputs 1-2 instead. That way you can mute your full mix and unmute your cue mix of choice.

I'm guessing your routing could end up being a bit complex though with pre-fader sends at the right place in order to make sure everyone hears what they need ( - like I said, I'm pretty tired right now). But other than that I don't see how it would be done. It doesn't really seem like a better way to work to me.

Nuendo is great for this btw, with its built-in "Control Room" which does what you want and then some. But we weren't talking about that I guess...

Hi Mattias,
Thanks for your help. May be i misunderstood your idea but when i tried it i ended up with a convoluted bussing system with either
multiple mute/unmute (potential listening to two things at the same time) or soloing as a monitor select then you can't solo other things.

No, I think you understood what I was saying. I just don't think there's any other way of going about it if my memory serves me.

I'm working in Nuendo through Monday so I won't be able to check until then I think, but I just don't see another way. I understand you're looking for a "1-click" option but I don't see how that could work. Either you'll have to do mute/unmute with the possibility of hearing multiple sources at the same time, or solo in which case you'll have to solo-defeat other stuff, making soloing unusable elsewhere which is the least desirable option I guess.

The only thing I can think of even being remotely possible is if there's a preference somewhere for how mute/solo works between grouped/selected tracks.  In Nuendo for example you can solo a track that is muted. What it does is turn OFF the mute on that track and turns mute ON on all other tracks. In PT (iirc - with 'default' prefs) that wouldn't work; it'd just solo the track while leaving mute ON so you'd hear nothing. If there's a preference for that it would be closer to a solution.  You could leave the cue auxes muted and when you needed to audition one just hit solo and all other stuff would mute. 1 click. You'd route all tracks as usual to the main outputs (they'd all mute once you solo your cue aux).

Cue sheet Please lol? i like to listen to house music in my car.. dont ask why.. bas gimme a cue sheet hehehe very nice tracklist

Latest posts

Back