GSSL Capacitors and IC selection questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

replicant

I've got a New GSSL PCB kit from Gustav, a Hairball meter, Expat Turbo board, and a case from Dan. I was going to order parts from a BOM I found here on GDIY, but in comparing it to both Gyraf and PCB Grinder, some of the quantities are way off. I'm not sure what that person was doing, so I'm revising that BOM, and also starting my own BOM from scratch. I want to use high quality caps, and this is my first build, so I have some questions.

My first questions are about the electrolytic caps. The main difference I see in specs is the ripple current.

Is it better for the cap to have a high or low ripple current?

Does that depend on whether it's in the power supply or audio path?

Which Nichicons are better, Audio Grade or Low Impedance? Or does that also depend on the specs and location in signal path?

I also have a question about VCA selection. The Expat Turbo board says to use a THAT2150, and the New GSSL says to use 2181B. I thought the VCA on the turbo board was supposed to match the one on the GSSL sidechain, so I'm not sure if I should order a 2150 for the turbo board or not.

replicant said:
I have read that high ripple current in the cap is good, so that question is answered. There aren't all that many capacitors in the GSSL anyway, so I'll just get what I think are the good ones.

Try doing a few experiments. Mount one channel with one type, the other channel with another type - see if you even hear a difference.

Also, you will want to use the THAT2180B.

Gustav

gyraf said:
..and please use (and read)the official GSSL Help thread....
Actually I didn't use the official help thread because 1) I'm still not actually building the unit, and 2) I've seen you guys get on people for making that thread a chat. So now I'm totally confused as to where to post on this forum. Thanks.

replicant said:
gyraf said:
..and please use (and read)the official GSSL Help thread....
Actually I didn't use the official help thread because 1) I'm still not actually building the unit, and 2) I've seen you guys get on people for making that thread a chat. So now I'm totally confused as to where to post on this forum. Thanks.

I think the "chat accusation" came from me, and it was directed at a poster going through every step of the BOM per component in single posts.

I am not a moderator, and I was not "getting at him". I was merely trying to help the guy help himself a little better by getting to the end of the BOM for a grand finale post instead of micro-posting in a chat-like manner. It can be helpful to ignore some issues and get to the end of something before starting over and diving into unresolved details on the second go sometimes. It can also be a good idea to present some work done when asking questions , if nothing else, it gives a common reference for further discussion, even if its completely wrong.

So, please don't be confused or intimidated, remember to use the search option, and only take behavior correcting posts seriously if they come from moderators :)

Gustav.

Gustav said:
I think the "chat accusation" came from me, and it was directed at a poster going through every step of the BOM per component in single posts.

I am not a moderator, and I was not "getting at him". I was merely trying to help the guy help himself a little better by getting to the end of the BOM for a grand finale post instead of micro-posting in a chat-like manner. It can be helpful to ignore some issues and get to the end of something before starting over and diving into unresolved details on the second go sometimes. It can also be a good idea to present some work done when asking questions , if nothing else, it gives a common reference for further discussion, even if its completely wrong.

So, please don't be confused or intimidated, remember to use the search option, and only take behavior correcting posts seriously if they come from moderators :)

Gustav.
Thanks Gustav. But again, here the assumption is made that I do not use the search function. I have an extensive collection of bookmarks here and elsewhere on the internet specifically pertaining to GSSL, going back almost a year. (I shelved this project for the last 10 months).

In fact, I was going to bump up a 10-year old thread with only 2 posts, but the forum says "Are you sure you want to do that?" I even deleted a whole intro "disclaimer" paragraph that I had written only so Jakob and Harpo wouldn't get bothered. The irony is too much.

I will either have to spend the time to read the entire 300-page Help thread, or just sell the parts I've gathered and go back to buying gear instead of trying to build it.

replicant said:
But again, here the assumption is made that I do not use the search function.

You're reading that between the lines or out of context. Don't do that.

replicant said:
I will either have to spend the time to read the entire 300-page Help thread, or just sell the parts I've gathered and go back to buying gear instead of trying to build it.

I see a lot of choices in between those two. Try not to worry about the "best" anything if this is your first build. Order some parts, then order some parts again, when you've established what you got wrong on the first order. Then build it and get some experience under your wings. If it fires up, build something else until you get one that lets out smoke; then get some experience trouble shooting it.

Gustav

Someone will eventually either answer your question or not but more than likely your questions have been answered in the gssl thread (I know they have).
Worded correctly the search within topic is actually pretty accurate.
Ive asked unanswered questions. More than likely its because the answer is easy enough to search for and everyone knows I am just being lazy. Look at topics more as research papers. They just happen to have a two way conversation. 
Dont get discouraged.  99% of the time you wont get a response  because the question has been asked a gazillion times. They're just tired of repeating themselves. Its not you. Or them.

Latest posts

Back