Stonehenge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunger

I thought I had found a nice, low-cost M49 style body, but apparently, we have a scale problem here  ;D

p778989133-4.jpg

p621029288-4.jpg

I don't think the Alctron BC1000 is going to be much use in DIY land.

http://vimeo.com/94459739
p153359239-4.jpg

I thought I had found a nice, low-cost M49 style body, but apparently, we have a scale problem here  ;D

Um... yes, not just the tube would have to be a subminiature.

Interesting thingy, though. The basket does seem a pretty close copy of the modern, smaller Neumanns (or Gefells, for that matter). By that logic they could do a U67/87 basket, too. Something that is often said to be "impossible" for legal reasons. Not saying it would be legal or ethical or not. Just saying it would seem to be the same principle.
And, come to think of it, it would hold for the actual M49 basket, too...

Or is it the exact size that's the problem, rather than the shape? That would be odd.

How big is the Alctron, anyway?

micaddict said:
How big is the Alctron, anyway?

It is comically small. . . the tube diameter is 2.094" according to my calipers. . . the interior has no provisions for mounting a PCB of any kind.  The OEM board is SMD directly soldered to the XLR pins and the whole thing pulls out in one unit.  The only thing that will fit it is a transformerless SMD circuit I suspect.

You put it up in studio and people WILL laugh at you.

Huh. . . I don't think I've ever even looked at TLM 102.  It looks roughly the same size.  Apparently, TLM 102 is a transformerless SMD design which would make sense.  They don't need all the space.

Looking at it from a M49 perspective, it is an obvious impossibility to get the tube and the transformer into the body  :eek:

Latest posts

Back