u267b (uA267) pinout (D&R Mono Compressor)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone?

Or can i use any other gain reduction meter for this unit? Maybe something like Forsell's Opto Compressor meter?

I saw this LED IC listed on D&R website they sell as a spare part. In their description it is obsolete and hard to get (but they happen to stock it...  go figure!) and they sell it for 15 bucks.
I would say this is unobtainium so you better ditch it and go with some other LED driver...

shot said:
I saw this LED IC listed on D&R website they sell as a spare part. In their description it is obsolete and hard to get (but they happen to stock it...  go figure!) and they sell it for 15 bucks.
I would say this is unobtainium so you better ditch it and go with some other LED driver...

Yes,i saw,too.But i can't understand pinout.There is no pin number in circuit.I'm looking for another ic but i have no idea about led drivers.Any idea about replacement or using other meters?

ForthMonkey said:
Any idea about replacement or using other meters?

Maybe something like LM3914 or in that range, but you'll have to figure how to adopt it to this circuit to show correct levels.
I'm no expert on that...  ???

Thanks.For now i will build compression section.Then i will try my forsell opto comp GR meter and look for u267b equivalent.

BTW this compressor really good!I liked it!I will send some sound sample.

I wouldn't use that meter since it relays on the linearity of the FET to measure it accurate, at least isn't the usual way to do it, just using a db converter measuring the bias of the FET, how do you do zero calibration there?  The usual way is to duplicate the gain cell and have a DC being divided by the same divider than the signal, adjusting the gain of that signal you get tracking, adjusting the DC level you get the 0dB calibration.

Here you don't have 0dB calibration, so with a different bias at the get you will get different 0dB readings, but that's probably ok but I wouldn't trust if I'm looking for precision on the meter. Also it doesn't allow you to use it as a level meter for I/O as it's used there, which is probably very useful. I don't know If I really want meters, in the case I  have them I would put a switch to disable them, it's well proven that our eyes trick our ears, and maybe you like how it sounds but you see there is too much or too many compression and you touch it just because. I'm fine with clip indicators, maybe compression indicators showing the threshold is already reached, but I wouldn't go further, at least have the option to disable them. Measurements can be useful time to time, to know your signal levels aren't all over the place and you are giving away all of your dynamic range, or you are just about to clip and mess your mix, but this a philosophical question way out of this topic.

You could probably replace the meter IC with other IC, I don't see the problem there, may sure the main specs are the same, many times you can swap ICs for your desired range and scale.

JS

Wait, I thought this was about replacing u267 because you couldn't get it, is there any reason you want to replace it? If you look at the data sheet you could be sure how it's wired, needs almost no external parts so should be pretty straight forward from the data sheet app notes.

If you want you could replaced from the one in the trident, but you probably already know analog vumeters are much nicer in a esthetics way, but much less useful to measure in a glance what's going on, led bars are much more useful too se how it's all going in a single glance at your mixer, if there are too many red lights something is going on, you know..

JS

You can't find U267 right? then probably a 3914 would work but need a few more extra components, I don't know if there is a direct replacement for the 267.

JS

ForthMonkey said:
Actually i can find it.But it's about 15€.

http://www.d-r.nl/WEBSHOP/contents/en-uk/d13.html

I don't know worth to buy?

That depends on how hard you want to hit your head, you probably have another meter laying around, try it and if it works just use another one, if you see it's more complicated than that maybe worth buying it. I guess you should solve it easily, live a pin header in your PCB with the different supply rails and signals for GR, input and output what is all what you want in your meter, when you find a meter that likes you just build it into a small board and plug it in place, or wire if you want it in a different location...

JS

Back