Sound Samples: MK47 w/Beesneez M7, C12 circuit with Beesneez CK12, AKG C414BULS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicGeek

Here's a set of sound samples I put together for reference:

https://soundcloud.com/hit-masters/sets/microphone-shootout-beesneez

The MICS:

Pair custom made (for me) Beesneez C12's with the BN CK12 historically accurate capsules

MK47 with Beesneez M7 capsule

AKG C414BULS

The two songs are "When I Fall In Love" and "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues".  I chose these songs for their difference in dynamics.  There is also one track of the BNCK12 on a small "Acoustic" brand guitar cab with a Gretsch hollow body electric.  You may have to look through my Soundcloud files for that one since it will not merge with the link for the playlist.

Piano was recording with the 2 BN C12's, in omni.  Vocals were then recorded separately with the three different mics in cardioid.
(Note that I've discovered that my favorite pattern on piano is two clicks to the left of cardioid, but these omni's sound fine.)

All of the posted files should be downloadable so you can line them up in your own DAW at "0" and tweak whatever you want.  Thus, there will be a short pause in the vocal files to allow for the piano "intro".  Obviously, these are raw tracks, no processing.

I can't wait to hear "Sound Sample" threads from all of you.  Post Away!

-Ben

Interesting samples, Ben. Since I'm a vocalist myself, I'll focus on the vocal samples first.

I heard noticeably more proximity in the C414 and C12 clone than I did in the U47 clone. Since they were all in cardioid, this surprised me a bit. On the other hand,  edge terminated capsules do have a  (subtle) smiley face curve, whereas an M7 would sooner do the opposite. The U47 does have ample fullness or meat, mind. Along with the well-known midrange push that can make a track "sit well in a mix".
There was some rumble on the C414 takes BTW.

Both the U47 and C12 clone sound smooth and creamy to my ears. The C414 is harder sounding. Less organic, too. The tubes and/or Ben's capsules could account for this. The difference is most noticeable where the vocalist sings louder. There's a slight compressing and rounding effect in the tube mics, making those more human sounding when digging in.  (Paradoxically, -subtle- distortion and non-linearity can acually make things more real, more fleshy/less "electric" sounding IMOAE.)
The compressing effect likely comes from the circuits rather than the capsules. The rounding effect could be caused by either or both.

The (B)ULS version of the C414 does have a transformer, doesn't it?
And does it have the older, brass ring CK12 or the later Teflon capsule?

Henk

micaddict said:
Both the U47 and C12 clone sound smooth and creamy to my ears. The C414 is harder sounding. Less organic, too. The tubes and/or Ben's capsules could account for this. The difference is most noticeable where the vocalist sings louder. There's a slight compressing and rounding effect in the tube mics, making those more human sounding when digging in.  (Paradoxically, -subtle- distortion and non-linearity can acually make things more real, more fleshy/less "electric" sounding IMOAE.)
The compressing effect likely comes from the circuits rather than the capsules. The rounding effect could be caused by either or both.

The (B)ULS version of the C414 does have a transformer, doesn't it?
And does it have the older, brass ring CK12 or the later Teflon capsule?

The Beesneez mic has a NOS GE 5 Star tube.  Prior to these mics I had a pair of Peluso P12's and changed out the tubes for the same GE's and there was more than a subtle difference. 

Yes, the BULS has a transformer and the Teflon capsule.  The 414 teflon sounds a bit more scooped in the mids to my ears.  The BN CK12 capsule is definitely smooth.  The 414 circuit is not all that bad, I may try swapping the capsules for the BN someday and see what results I get. 

The C414 is a well respected microphone and a true studio workhorse.
But here it is up against better mics IMO. And the latter aren't even factory-made by a widely known brand. That, of course, is the good news for us.  ;D

Nice samples, thanks!

I liked the BN C12 best.  I'm not sure if there is less proximity effect with the U47 or it simply sound thin overall. 

Thank you! 

It may be the proximity effect.  I tried to record the clips from a distance that sounded best for each mic, rather than have them equidistant from the source.  I, personally, feel that it's much more beneficial to hear results that optimize the mic's capabilities rather than limit them for "scientific" purposes.  The Beesneez CK12 has a wonderful extended low end, which could be what you are hearing.  If I had to record a bass vocal in a singing group, that would be the mic hands down.  The bass is very 3D with no processing at all.

I like the BN M7 on my voice better, then again, I never really liked any CK12 style mic/cap on my voice. 

I like to hear mics in their natural habitat as well (i.e. in a song, processed, etc) so, here's a song that I did with two Beesneez C12 mics on piano and the MK47 with the Beesneez M7 capsule on the male voice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WG4fDD7lU

Am I the only one who's moved by this?

Anyway, the microphones sound great, Ben.  :)
The C12s are round and classy. The U47 has Nat Cole built in.

micaddict said:
Am I the only one who's moved by this?

Anyway, the microphones sound great, Ben.  :)
The C12s are round and classy. The U47 has Nat Cole built in.

Thanks a lot.  It was a very sentimental project.  Mom had to sound good!  I believe I recorded her vocal with a CAD E-200 (my first real condenser mic), but there was a lot of comp and EQ going on there to make it compete with the U47.

I don't know why the BN stuff get's no love.  I didn't have to use one de-esser on the U47 (did I? lol).

Very touching Ben. Thanks for sharing. You had a wonderful, wonderful mom. And if all goes well, hopefully you will see her again. :) Very lovely, moving, and powerful. Thanks.

Mics sounded nice too.

Best and warm regards,

Mike

MicGeek said:
I like to hear mics in their natural habitat as well (i.e. in a song, processed, etc) so, here's a song that I did with two Beesneez C12 mics on piano and the MK47 with the Beesneez M7 capsule on the male voice. 

Great job on the recording and video!

originalmusician said:
MicGeek said:

Great job on the recording and video!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back