Neumann KM84 Clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alrod

I recently purchased a KM84.  According to the serial number it was manufactured in 1990.  It is one of, if not the best KM84's I have heard.  Anyway, I would like to clone it. 

I have a NOS mic body that I bought to replace the slightly dinged body of the mic I just purchased, but then I thought "Hmm, why not try to clone it, that way I would have a pair of KM84's".  I know that Neumann sells replacement capsules (or I can buy a used one).  Does anyone have a full component list of the parts?  Are all the original parts still available?  From  cost perspective, is it worth the effort?

One of the key elements to the classic sound, I would say, is the transformer.

Then there's the correct size and number of the side ports. But that's the easy bit.

And last, but most certainly not least, the capsule of course.

Other the parts (FET etc.) play a part too, obviously.

Although I'm no expert, I think it's safe to say that the circuit is relatively simple.
Finding the "correct" electronic parts is another matter.

micaddict said:
One of the key elements to the classic sound, I would say, is the transformer.

Then there's the correct size and number of the side ports. But that's the easy bit.

And last, but most certainly not least, the capsule of course.

Other the parts (FET etc.) play a part too, obviously.

Although I'm no expert, I think it's safe to say that the circuit is relatively simple.
Finding the "correct" electronic parts is another matter.

Thanks.  The body I have is OEM Neumann so I think I am good there.  Do you know if the parts like the transformer are still being made?  I realize that Neumann only sells capsule replacements and nothing else, but I am sure if you send your mic into them for repairs they will replace whatever parts are needed correct?  Just wondering what other avenues there are for getting a hold of the parts I need.  eBay seems to be slim pickings for dead KM84's.  Even then, it is a crap shoot.  I would really like a true clone and not 'parts that will work" if that makes sense.

MatthisD said:
The transformer is available from Sennheiser.

How do I go about ordering it?  According to their site, only the replacement capsule is available.

MatthisD said:
Through the Sennheiser website for your region. €144 plus VAT is the price I was told.

This is what it says on their website:

"Product Details:
The capsule is the only spare part available for the KM84 microphone.
There are no spare parts available for the capsule either."

Send an email to ask for it. See here:
http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?site=neumann&bn=neumann_mictec&key=1353514140

Latest posts

Back