NO....there aren't any Western Electric counterfeits out there?!?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Replica parts supplier:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chiluen8/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Those have been trickling out for several years.  All it takes is someone good at 'antiquing' techniques. 

That's why we should all buy Behringer. You know there's no danger of it being a fake!

okgb said:
B'ringer has original items ?

While I rather dislike defending Behringer they appear to have evolved beyond their blatant taking inspiration from other manufacturers products to now rolling their own.

Their X32 digital mixer family while not exactly novel in concept is a game changer for price/performance execution.  Several other companies wish that they did that one first. It is interesting now to see forum criticism of Behringer for taking to long to ship new products instead of the old copy-cat rants.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
okgb said:

While I rather dislike defending Behringer they appear to have evolved beyond their blatant taking inspiration from other manufacturers products to now rolling their own.

Their X32 digital mixer family while not exactly novel in concept is a game changer for price/performance execution.  Several other companies wish that they did that one first. It is interesting now to see forum criticism of Behringer for taking to long to ship new products instead of the old copy-cat rants.

JR

Not sure if it's true or not but I've heard that Mackie has thrown dummie circuits in their stuff to see if behringer would copy and rumor has it they did.

Seems to me if Bringer weren't blatantly copying other products like their early days,
they'd still make it look like they were to make you think you were getting a better product
while selling something even cheaper

buildafriend said:
JohnRoberts said:
okgb said:

Not sure if it's true or not but I've heard that Mackie has thrown dummie circuits in their stuff to see if behringer would copy and rumor has it they did.
Unlikely, but I recall a conversation with Greg Mackie back during the height of his dispute with Behringer about the obvious "inspiration" from his 8-bus inline console. Greg joked about them copying his unintentional mistakes too (nobody designs in mistakes on purpose).  I don't want to go too far down this road, I've been attacked personally on another forum for sharing my recollections of industry history from that period.

IMO this is mostly ancient history and now Behringer has evolved to be a target of copiers with desirable market share for others to try to win away with lower prices (hard) or better product perception (getting difficult with their ownership of higher brands ).  The bigger and more successful they get the more exposure they have to competition.

JR

them copying his unintentional mistakes too

I'm pretty sure it came out during the B Vs M lawsuit that the B 8-Buss had crosstalk issues in the sends, the same as M's original mixer... The only reason M didn't get a satisfactory outcome was due to the fact that they didn't register the design. The court records were online at one point.

thermionic said:
them copying his unintentional mistakes too

I'm pretty sure it came out during the B Vs M lawsuit that the B 8-Buss had crosstalk issues in the sends, the same as M's original mixer... The only reason M didn't get a satisfactory outcome was due to the fact that they didn't register the design. The court records were online at one point.

That was not the mistake that Greg was talking about but no need to go there either this is a few decades old now, but perhaps a good future trivia question , only of interest to console designers. (Hint: it was less subtle than crosstalk and obvious without turning the unit on).

Any court filings that were public record should still be out there unless some part of the settlement was an agreement to seal documents. I was not privy to the court proceedings but my experience in related matters suggests that winning in court is not always about being right but not being proved wrong.  I suspect any agreement would involve stopping any inflammatory public statements related to the matter. IIRC there were some nasty claims made to the press.

I am happy to move on, they haven't pissed me off lately, and I'd rather not dwell on the past.

JR

All of which is a LOT more work than buying some pre-made WE replica parts, stuffing it with a reasonably correct transformer, doing the antiquing, and passing it off as legit, as is being done these days.  It's become like antique furniture counterfeiting. 

emrr said:
All of which is a LOT more work than buying some pre-made WE replica parts, stuffing it with a reasonably correct transformer, doing the antiquing, and passing it off as legit, as is being done these days.  It's become like antique furniture counterfeiting.

Again this boils down to are people buying something that looks like an old legacy classic product or sounds like and old legacy product?

Even if both it does not deserve to command the same price.

JR

Back