1k Log Pot as a Pad

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodun

Can I just use a dual 1k log pot to pad a 600 ohm input? Would I need any added resistors.

This is for the AM16.

It will be an AM-16 mic pre amp. JLM uses a 1k log pot with a resistor as a variable input on these. Leaving the output open to 600 ohms. At least as far as I can tell. I'm trying to figure out what that resistor value is.

I also may put a 10k log on the output with just a switched pad on the input. Everyone seems to have there own way of doing this... Not sure what is the best.

Is the the Langevin AM-16 or the old AM16 by JLM - I am afraid I am not familiar with either. On JLMs site they have a variable pad kit that uses a dual 1k log pot to make a balanced fader which they say can be used with their old AM16 module. Is that the sort of thing  you are considering?

Cheers

Ian

Its the original Langevin, not the JLM. I am confused by which is better and the positive and negatives of going either way. I always thought a 600ohm pot on the output is best. Then I read that a 1k variable pot on the input is best. Is there any reason why one is better than the other? I'm thinking with a variable pad on the input would give a more consistent sound since you will always be driving the input to its maximum? The JLM versino only gives -20db of variable control. So a -20db pad is still needed. I dont think you can give -40db of control. at least not with a 1k potentiometer.

OK. The Langevin AM-16 is a transformer in, transformer out mic pre with 45dB fixed gain. If you plan to use it as a mic pre then to vary the overall gain it is probably best to use a variable pad at the input. This will maintain headroom.

A dual 1K log pot wired as a balanced attenuator should work fine.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back