Maestro FZ-1A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatsounds

I think I need a little help with my Maestro Fuzz FZ-1A clone.

This is the schematic I used: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/fz1a.gif

Everything on my PCB is great, and perfectly after the book, all components are great, my hard-to-find very-expensive transistors (2N2613) work, and my 1,5V PSU work great and stabile without hum and noise (I've tried with a 1,5 bat. too).

But inspite of all that, my transistors won't switch "on".  When I set up everything I just get a loud humming noise from the amp.

Does any of you have experience with that kind of guitar pedals?

FYI. The transistors are PNP Germanium

did you measure the voltage at each transistor leg?

I would test it with an audio tester like this http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html that way you can check every stage.

do you have the circuit in a metal box? hum and noises could disapear once the circuit is in a proper metal box grounded

Yes, I did measure the voltage on each leg, but that just indicated that the transistors are "off".
Great idea with the audio tester :p. I'll make one of them and write a little more in detail about the voltages I measure on monday.

With com on the emitter on the first trans, from base to emitter, I get -1.5mV. In my head I should get around -600mV..
From collector to emitter I get full supply voltage...

I'll post a pic of the schematics with my measurements. Red point is + on my voltmeter, and black points are the com-port.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2015-02-09 kl. 13.24.14.png
    Skærmbillede 2015-02-09 kl. 13.24.14.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 120
Base-Emitter voltage should be 0.3V for germanium transistors, everything else strongly indicating, they are NOT working :(
Did you ask on DIYstompboxes?Nice forum...

Sorry. Forgot to mention, that I made a 1.7v power supply.
But I've tried with a battery, and I get the same results. By the way,  a new fully charged 1.5V battery will probably give 1.7V.

Back