My EF86 tube tests

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gevermil

Hello
I have some time on my hands and have been burning in some different tubes for Dannys Du67 Mic .
I have The Max BV12 type and I am well aware of the opinions expressed about the "darker" nature of his transformer.
This was my initial impression with a fancy Telefunken  ef86 from C. Whitmore .
Upon trying other Burned in tube types  , Im not so sure .
I have sound samples of the Mic  compared to a Nice original U67 and with a variety of tubes ,
Im trying to organize them for a post and would like to hear opinions and comments about what others have used .
Anyone here noticing dramatic differences between tubes ?
I am

The same brand 86 can sound different so to me without a large number of the same brand tubes and a selection of different companies the findings will be based on too low of a sample size to be of any use.

What you need to do is measure gain and other parameters in a circuit like the microphone or in the microphone to tell what is different.  This will help test if there is a correlation to sound and measured parameters.

Also check the microphonics.  Microphonics add to the sound when the volume in the room is up.

Thanks Gus
Yeah , without trying a hundred tubes , from the same batch date codes ect . Im sure I wont get a grand picture .
In trying not to break the bank -
I only have two Telefunken  compared to 8 or so amperex .
Yet these two telefunkens sound alike (warm/soft highs )and the amperex sound alike ( bright/clear ) , except for one that is clearly noisy . My initial thought was
perhaps a brighter tube would influence opinions on  Maxs BV12

Latest posts

Back