Change 1.5V batt to PhantomPower ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksor

I'm so tired of these 1.5V batteries in my  electret condenser mics - I have a bunch of them !

Of cause I have to change the cable to 2-conductor shielded cable and the plug too, but ...

How can I change them to be powered from the PhantomPower ?

The problem is that most (amateur) electret microphones with a 1.5 V battery have an unbalanced output.
If the microphone has a transformer at the output (or you could add one), you would only have to add two resistors and a capacitor.
(And maybe add a zener diode, to ensure that the voltage will not get too high.)

I have used small 1:1 transformers in the past, to balance the output signal of an electret microphone.
The problem is that in general there is not very much space for a transformer.
So I had to use unshielded transformers, to save space.
By the way: don't be tempted to use so called 1:1 modem transformers, because I discovered that they have a very poor LF response.

Well in fact figure 6 IS using phantom power, but that would mean that you would have to modify the electronics inside the microphone.
Not too long ago there was a thread on this site about the same subject, I will see if I can still find it.

Found it!
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51035.msg647918#msg647918
I think it looks familiar... :p

electret.png

This (top part) works with DPA 4060 type mics, no problems with long cable runs noted. 

5433962080_6c0e32de73_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back