SPX 90 MK2 issues. Already recapped PSU.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Hello

I was just donated a dead SPX90 mk2.

This unit shows no signs of life. I have recapped the PSU as suggested in numerous other threads here.  When I check the PSU voltages unloaded they appear correct.  i.e +&- 18v & 5v

The led 7 seg display is dead as is the lcd & the back light. 

When I check the 7815 & 7915 on the main board I'm only seeing about 9-10v on the inputs to these devices.  All this is telling me that the issue is still power related.    On the PSU diagram there is an opto coupler PC2 which has it's output feed a connector to the main board. Does anyone know if this delays power on ?  I don't have the diagrams fr the main board.

Or any other common problems ?

OK got it.

This issue was R18, a 1k5  in PSU open circuit.    This meant that unloaded the PSU had the correct voltages, but loaded both analog & digital PSU rails sagged to the point there was not enough V for the digital side to work.

analogguru said:
Rob Flinn said:
Thanks for that Taram101.    I'm guessing the difference between a MK1 & Mk2 is just some chip upgrades.
Bigger dynamic RAM chips and different EPROM.

People seem to say that these are less noisy than the ver 1.    Maybe that means there are some other upgrades, since RAM & Eprom surely wouldn't provide a sonic upgrade.

Rob Flinn said:
analogguru said:
Rob Flinn said:
Thanks for that Taram101.    I'm guessing the difference between a MK1 & Mk2 is just some chip upgrades.
Bigger dynamic RAM chips and different EPROM.

People seem to say that these are less noisy than the ver 1.    Maybe that means there are some other upgrades, since RAM & Eprom surely wouldn't provide a sonic upgrade.
What people seem to say.....
At least they are so similar that you only need to change the 6 DRAM-chips (4416 to 4464) and the EPROM and a v1 will act like a v2.

Latest posts

Back