Proxxon KT70

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Hi

I just ordered this compound table:

Proxxon-KT-70.jpg

Basically for drilling plot holes in 500 series front panels, the X axis travel is 135mm and the Y travel is 46mm, I think I could make double-slot modules by starting one half of the drilling from one corner and then the other half from the other corner and moving in opposite direction.

I have no experience using this kind of tables but I think it won't be so hard, just attach it to the drill stand (I'm using their Micromot stand) fix the panel, take a reference (touching a corner of the panel with the drill bit I think) and start moving and drilling... Any advice or cautions to look around?

It' s dirty cheap (I found it in ebay for 86€ including shipping costs) And there's even people who mod this (and the MF70, which includes the 3rd axis and the spindle for around 350€, also a good price) to turn it in a CNC, I know the travel looks so small, but with some tweaking I've seen work surfaces of 160.5x100x58 mm which is (barely) enough for doing pcb's. A friend and me were thinking in build a CNC machine, maybe this table can be a good starting point...

Any experiences with this kind of tables? I'm tired of messing with printed drill templates glued to the piece, and cannot afford a CNC right now, because the budget, and also because the noise and space needed (at the moment I work in my house, in a dedicated but not so big room)

look up backlash and drilling template with hardened inserts

Gus said:
look up backlash and drilling template with hardened inserts

I don't fully understand your sentence (sorry, I'm not native english speaker), what do you mean with hardened inserts?

Markus_Krippner said:
I'd really recommend to save your money  until you can afford a CNC.

...markus :)

Too late  ;D, right now it's coming to my home, but seriously I think it wil improve my hole alignment

Just reached my home yesterday, I'm still getting used to it, I learned how to fix the pieces so I can drill them without touching the table,  everything looks nice, I don' t notice any backslash, surely there's a some, but the results are much better than hand drilling, and yes, after some hundreds of turns to the wheels I know I need a CNC...

dirtyhanfri said:
Just reached my home yesterday, I'm still getting used to it, I learned how to fix the pieces so I can drill them without touching the table,  everything looks nice, I don' t notice any backslash, surely there's a some, but the results are much better than hand drilling, and yes, after some hundreds of turns to the wheels I know I need a CNC...

I don't think you can use a drill press as a mill, but for drilling front panels, I bet this thing works well. Let us know!

-a

Ptownkid said:
He may simply mean to avoid turning the wheels, haha

Exactly  ;D

I just use it for drilling, no milling or engraving (by hand? I'm not that unconscious, just a bit) The whole kit works nicely, the table is easy to use and solid, keeping in mind the size. The workflow looks a bit slow, but overall I finish my panels faster and with better results than with the paper template way.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the drill stand, the bit moves around a bit when touching the material (I was using 3mm drill bits, maybe with smaller bits you can avoid this), anyway the accuracy is pretty good.

I've already done like 10 panels for 500 series, and the mounting holes are finally in their place  :D

I'm looking prices of chinese built CNC engraving machines, 600€ for a fully built machine with 200x150 mm. workspace, including shipping, looks able to make even aluminium engraving, saving for it...

Latest posts

Back