Urei 7110 transformer mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trendkill

Out of curiosity, has anyone completed a mod to this compressor? I have found through various forums people who've installed a Jensen transformer into this unit and I have followed/sourced the transformer required. As a newer diy member I was wondering if someone had maybe an altered schematic or possibly some pictures of the mod itself? More importantly what differences/perks were there to doing this mod?

Hello,  I have not found the answer in the search and hope to find it here.  I built 2 la2as with the 1968 schematic.  As I run signal through it,  using it as a pre amp I see signal  dipping at 8k and tapers to -4.5 db at 11.5k.  I used the sewter trannys 1009 + 1010.  Is this a normal occurance?  To be expected?

Thanks!

Trendkill said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone completed a mod to this compressor? I have found through various forums people who've installed a Jensen transformer into this unit and I have followed/sourced the transformer required. As a newer diy member I was wondering if someone had maybe an altered schematic or possibly some pictures of the mod itself? More importantly what differences/perks were there to doing this mod?

I know it's a little late on this, but I have a pair of Urei/JBL 7110 compressors installed here, and have been considering the output transformer mods myself. Many posts around the net talking about a huge difference, better sounding, etc, but I'm just interested in having balanced outputs.

As I understand it, if you can find a transformer that fits the PCB footprint, it's as simple as desoldering the two jumpers on the board and soldering in the transformer.

(had to crawl behind the racks for a second...)

Another alternative would be to still remove those two jumpers, but fly some wires out to the back of the chassis, and mount the tranny externally. There's plenty of room between the serial number plate and the output XLR for a jensen JT-11, or any probably other low profile 600:600 transformer.

Back