Great River NV1... where to start on a good Neve (COMPLETE New Guy)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yajbuilder

Hi Everyone!

I first must apologize for my question's generic-ness. 

I am new here, and after being directed numerous times to this forum, here I am.  I have dabbled in analog pedal building and other assorted electronics, but I have recently decided to get my nose to the grindstone and build a channel of clones.

I would like try a neve similar to the Great River NV1- a friend of mine has one and I dig the sound.

I borrowed  a copy of Douglas Self's small signal audio design... and I am trying to read these forums to gain a foot hold on the theory of how these pretty gadgets work.

...But in YOUR opinion, where should I start the build process?  a hairball/seventh circle kit?  Any recommended PCB designs worth self printing?  Ideas?
My general goal is to keep the cost a tad lower than the other commercial clones, cause that would be cool and add a level or reason behind building in the first place. 

Thanks!  I will see you all around the forums!
-Jay

hi Jay welcome to the board.

start with a kit it's easier and get familiar with preamplifier circuits

in my opinion it's useless to save 10-20 on pcb and make by yourself. then maybe discover that the preamp is not working because of imperfection in the traces. you can get ready made pcbs for very good prices and with well documented build guides

Hi Jay,

Agree with beatnik - kits or purchased boards are the way to go - probably kits. All the problems have been worked out and there's more likely to be someone here to help when you hit a problem.

I'd check out Hairball - maybe Bronze or Lola - they have audio samples on their site - nice docs that you can download too.
- http://www.hairballaudio.com/elements/guide
Also check out Soundskulptor.com stuff - all nice preamps and a choice of 500 series or their custom rack - preamps and eq. Again all the build docs are downloadable.
- http://www.soundskulptor.com
And seventh circle stuff is well regarded.

I personally like the 500 series stuff for self-build because you don't have to worry about psu and cases etc. All the 500 series kits above are excellent value in my opinion, so I think they meet your cost objective.

Latest posts

Back