Tube Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents, thanks for liking.
I've recently got a review in German "Studio Magazin", they like my mixer.

Here are detailled pics of the back modules.

I/O

ioscaled.jpg

Insert (tube buffered)

insscaled.jpg

L/R Mix, inserts, external meter, 2 TR in

lroutscaled.jpg

Monitor Out, Aux Send

spkscaled.jpg

Auxiliary line input. This sends a stereo signal directly to the master fader (L/R bus). The level can be adjusted with the potentiometer.

auxlininscaled.jpg

The little "helper" modules:

Bo Hansén DI Box

discaled.jpg

Lundahl 1581XL signal splitter

splitterscaled.jpg

8 channel passive summer, I/P 1+2 are mono

sumscaled.jpg

And finally the channel signal flow

sigflowscaled.jpg

holy molly...
mind = f'in BLOWN.

That build is probably the most impressive DIY build I've seen yet...
WOW.

Interesting in more pictures in the studio, feedback about its sound etc...

Where are the gooseneck lamps and leather armrest?  ;D
.. It looks very neat and warm, but soundclips.. anybody can combine modules and wood and make it look like a mixer....  :-X  ;D

No, really nice looking console.. I am impressed by the diy community ... and the amount of hours some people put into projects..  8)

Hi Holger ,
She's a beauty for sure , but just wondering about heat and ventilation , might be a plan to create vents/grills allowing cold air in from below and warm air to escape from the top , it must start to run hot after a few hours use.
Ill keep an eye out for when you post some samples of music from the beast.

Tubetec said:
Hi Holger ,
She's a beauty for sure , but just wondering about heat and ventilation , might be a plan to create vents/grills allowing cold air in from below and warm air to escape from the top , it must start to run hot after a few hours use.
Ill keep an eye out for when you post some samples of music from the beast.

Holger (and I) use modules made from 'cassettes' made by Fischer Elektronik. Most consist of a couple of left and right aluminium extrusions with a front panel and a back connector plate. One type of cassette has built in perforated panels at the top and bottom so convection draws cool air in at the bottom and warm air drifts out the top.

In my view, tubes get a bad pres about heat. This probably stems from power amps where large quantities of heat are produced. But in a mixer, all the tubes are low power. A typical 6.3V at 0.3A heater consumes under 2 watts. Holgers monster has 63 tubes if I remember correctly so that is less than 130W of heat - my bathroom heated towel rail consumes more than that. The HT is no worse. Each tube consumes 5mA at 300V on average which is 1.5W so 63 tubes consume less than 100W. In total the whole thing consumes less than 230 watts.

I have made plenty of temperature rise  tests with cassettes. The main extrusions rarely get above 40 degrees Celsius and the front panels are typically mid thirties (barely above body temperature).

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back