eucon protocol

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case it make sens  :)

So you have to find how the systeme work, is that not possible to have some dev package from AVID ? just saying you want to develop plug-in with eucon control integration ?

Zam

I met with Chris Jenkins about a year ago and asked him about whether or not SSL might be "joining the club" as it were.

I know that I'm paraphrasing him excessively without his permission here, but the simple answer is "No. Nobody can."

In order to get the information, you have to request it from AVID. Along with the request you must be covered under an NDA. Among the terms and conditions is a requirement that you do not make a control surface.

In order to make a console that works with Eucon, any company would have to agree not to make a console.

AVID owns Eucon IP, and they're not doing all that well as a company. They're NEVER going to start putting others in competition with themselves; that would be shooting yourself in the foot.

You want Eucon? -Buy a Eucon controller. There's no other way.

The more I read about Avid lately, the more I'm glad I never got in deep with them.  I have an Eleven Rack which I quite like (that they've abandoned).  :mad:  Other than that...I have nothing to do with them. 

If they released Eleven as a VST, I'd maybe buy it, but of course they don't.  I've thought about getting a PT setup...But why bother?  Most of the work I do comes from people using other systems like DP, Logic, Cubase, etc.  I bought my Reaper license in 2009...It's still good.

And the prices of a Eucon controller....Holy hell man.  That S3 looks killer, but $5G's?!  Whatever.  (Is there a raspberry emoticon on here?)

Can you do this with a plugin?  PT can automate plugs...Surely you can read/write automation for a plugin.  If you stuck this "automation" plugin on every track that you wanted to show up on your external controller, you'd only need a way to merge that data and send it out to the outside world.

In the PC world, there's "Copperlan" MIDI over Ethernet that should get the MIDI data moving fast over your LAN.

I dunno....Just tossing some ideas out there.  It's definitely not "elegant" but I think it's a potential way to embed automation for an external fader.

The problem with plain midi is definition, only 7 bits is probably not good enough for 100mm faders, of course you could use two signals or at least a few bits more but then gets more involved, since is not standard notes you are using but bit to bit or something like that. Could be done with a function which translates your message from your own standard to midi and then splits it again but probably too much work for one single project. I was asked to make something like this with at least 8 bits so I thought in adding a single bit like a mute or solo signal which would represent half the level. The project ended in hands of a guy at the university and I don't know what he has done with it, I know it's working now. It also was for PT, I haven't been in contact with him to ask, but I could ask the owner of the studio for some info about it or him...

JS

MIDI NRPN's give you a coarse and fine CC extending MIDI controllers to 14 bit.

Of course...There's nothing that says you have to use MIDI, and you can define your own protocol (eucon didn't exist before someone made it).  The question then becomes how do you implement it in PT.

Back to the Eucon protocol: If (at least some of) the communication can be read out and then implemented in the Ducon (or whatever) protocol - wouldn't this be the best of both worlds?

Avid using NDA's for collaborators shows clearly that this is all about obfuscating, not about patents or IP.

Jakob E.

obfuscating... Jakob I learned a new word today. ;)

Yeah ducon  is a perfect name for it.  It would work for as long as Avid uses eucon.  Hui is on the way out with avid,  although ti is pt11 code and shows up in the software they are for the most part phasing it out.  they show it as unsupported.

Anyone got an eucon control surface who could do some packet capture with wireshark?
While there might be strong crypto in there, my bet is that there is at most a checksum.

Regards, Dan,

https://www.wireshark.org/ It is a network traffic sniffer, you point it at an ethernet port and it records all the traffic then lets you run filters to examine just the bits you care about.

It is a standard TCP/IP network protocol analysis tool.

Regards, Dan.

Eucon runs on Ethernet with TCPIP as the low-level communication protocol.  Using a tool like Wireshark, you can snag all the conversations between the host system and a Eucon controller.

As was pointed out, there might be some encryption on the communications, but I doubt that.  In a perfect world you would use two PC's, a Eucon controller, and an intelligent network switch.  One PC would be the audio host system, the other PC would run Wireshark, and both of those will be connected to the intelligent switch with the Eucon controller.  In the network switch, you would "span" (duplicate all traffic to/from) the Eucon controller to the Wireshark PC.

After that is setup, everything that happens between the Eucon controller and the audio host will be seen on the Wireshark system where you can open up the packets and see the data that is being sent back and forth.

You could simply run Wireshark on your audio host system, but I prefer to have a separate system when I do captures. 

After much thinking. I think SSL the company ,came out with a great work around the whole hui and how pro tools limits it to 32 faders and so forth. This is recent.  but it basically is

Have a plug in and have it control hardware.  A simple concept that's been around for a while...

So taking a different approach You have a plug in that goes on each track. The plug in can be automated  in the daw and be in any plug in format vst3, AU, RTAS, pro tools HDX, etc, etc.

Then the plug in talks back and forth to the hardware, so you end up with the same results of automation in the box controlling an analog fader but your not stuck trying to crack eucon or doing hui. Plus would make it more compatible to any daw  as in theory the hardware would be the same for long time only the plug in coding would have to change.

I think we can call it fucon.

After much thinking. I think SSL the company ,came out with a great work around the whole hui and how pro tools limits it to 32 faders and so forth. This is recent.  but it basically is

Have a plug in and have it control hardware.  A simple concept that's been around for a while...

That's what I suggested a few posts back. :)

Back