Looking for PCB connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I just replaced the Firewire board in a Mackie 1640i mixer.
(Swapped the old board with an 'Oxford' chipset for a new board with a 'Dice' chipset, to facilitate 'daisy chaining'.)
So what I have now is a fully working 16 x 16 Firewire AD/DA interface PCB...
My idea is to use this board in a stand-alone firewire converter box.
But to do so, I need a couple of PCB connectors that seem to be hard to find.

connectors.JPG

What i need is the following:

1 row, 10 pins 2.5 mm spacing
1 row, 14 pins, 2.5 mm spacing
2 rows, 16 pins (2x8), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 20 pins (2x10), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 26 pins (2x13), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 34 pins (2x17), 2 mm spacing

Any ideas where to buy those connectors? (wire/cable parts of course!)
Preferably in Europe. I would like to avoid soldering directly to the pins on the PCB!

They seem familiar from somewhere, maybe computers.. I thought you were looking for a supplier but I can't help with that. IDC connectors usually have the mark on the middle, those you are looking for have it at the sides. For the 0.1" connectors pin headers may help. They look like molex connectors but not quite the same either I guess... The problem is to find the name, then shouldn't be a problem get the connectors somewhere. Good luck with that!

JS

Can you not replace the connectors in question with some more common ones?

i think this one is similar: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1217298/Stiftleiste-gewinkelt-RM-20-mm-Serie-PH-Rastermass-20-mm-Pole-10-Nennstrom-2-A-B10B-PH-SM4-TB-LFSN-JST-Inhalt?ref=list
made by JST

Thank you for this tip! I already found some usable connectors on the Conrad site, but unfortunately they don't have all types I need. But it seems JST is the name to search for!
(An alternative may be to use two connectors close to each other, to form a 2 x 17 pin connector...)

I've found those 10 pin single row headers. They seem to be generic chinese ones sold on ebay. Couldn't find them in any store other than ebay. Also had no luck searching their model number...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Wafer-10-pin-0-1-Cable-Female-Header-DE3850-/370879401825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565a228f61
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Wafer-10-pin-0-1-PCB-Shrouded-Male-Square-Header-DE3851-/370879490971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565a23eb9b

And this 34 pin / 2 row seem to be J.S.T. PHD series

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=201

I found out that RS Components carries them, but couldn't find 34 pin model. Only up to 24 pins
link

Well, just an idea...

You could put two rows of pins (like this) on a perfboard (perfboard is here just to hold the wires in place during the assembly, later you trash it), arranged just like your 34pin connector. Then use dupont wire (like this) and drop some hot glue around it. When it cools down you can trim the rest of the glue with a sharpie and make it almost the same shape as the PHD wire header.
That way you don't have to unsolder the header from the pcb but instead have a custom made connector. It won't be pretty but it will work.
I've used links from ebay to describe it, but you can find those duponts and pins in almost every local shop...

I just replaced the Firewire board in a Mackie 1640i mixer.
(Swapped the old board with an 'Oxford' chipset for a new board with a 'Dice' chipset, to facilitate 'daisy chaining'.)
So what I have now is a fully working 16 x 16 Firewire AD/DA interface PCB...
My idea is to use this board in a stand-alone firewire converter box.
But to do so, I need a couple of PCB connectors that seem to be hard to find.

connectors.JPG

What i need is the following:

1 row, 10 pins 2.5 mm spacing
1 row, 14 pins, 2.5 mm spacing
2 rows, 16 pins (2x8), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 20 pins (2x10), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 26 pins (2x13), 2 mm spacing
2 rows, 34 pins (2x17), 2 mm spacing

Any ideas where to buy those connectors? (wire/cable parts of course!)
Preferably in Europe. I would like to avoid soldering directly to the pins on the PCB!
Heh heh, great minds and all that!!
Yes Ruud, I've been thinking of this concept, but alas, I don't think the board is obtainable any more!!
I was lucky enough to pick the mixer for £325 which is about the price of a board!! I'm on the lookout for more cheap mixers. I sometimes have access to another 1640i of a colleagues, I'm considering trying to modify both units so that I can link the solo and option to link aux busses, but i'll post on it's own thread.
Yes, I love the versatility, compactness and sound of this mixer, but I'm getting too old to lift this thing constantly!!

Last edited:
Thanks! I found that one on the Digikey site in the meantime.
But unfortunately - Quantity Available: 0 !
Anyway I now know the type to look for.
As of today (November 8, 2022): B34B-PHDSS(LF)(SN) -- 5,350 IN STOCK at Digi-Key!!!

UNIT PRICE
1$1.19000$1.19
10$1.00400$10.04
100$0.90140$90.14

Datasheet:

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/ePHD.pdf
Hope this helps!!!

/

Back