hybrid microphone component compatibility question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunger

Building a "hybrid" microphone on the C12 circuit and wondering if the Cinemag CM-13101 is suitable for use on a 12AT7 plate follower tube mic.

It seems the winding ratio is in range given the 12AT7 has a bit higher gain than 6072A, and I would like to try a large core transformer and the 13101 is what i have on hand.

For main components, I am thinking along the lines of:

- Eric Heiserman HK47 capsule
- Mullard 12AT7 tube
- 2K output capacitor
- Cinemag CM13101

I like the shape and 9 pattern flexibility of the C12. . . the circuit also seems to be a straight-forward "flat-response" type circuit.  Our studio tends to favor the more mid-forward center terminated Neumann style sound for general use, so I thought I'd build a hybrid mic and see how it runs.  Since this is DIY and all.

Seems like cm 13101 is out.  It will not easily fit without lengthening the microphone tube by about 1 inch. . . Which i should do on a future mic revision, but it will take a longer than the test period that i have.  I should stick to small core CM-13114 or CM-13113 to start.

small-tranny2.jpg

The Samar 12:1 Big core tranny just squeezes into an Apez 460 type body and should be fine with a 12at7!
sound samples below ;)

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58091.0

Not sure how relevant, but I recently asked Cat5 to swap out the Chinese C12-type in one of your MataChung C12 builds (setup for the Mullard 12AT7 as detailed in your build instructions) with a microphone-parts.com RK-47 capsule, figuring the K47-type capsule might work well with the 12AT7 configuration (Cinemag 13114)...well the results were not favorable in this particular case...what was a very smooth voicing with the C12-style capsule was now a more "bitey" mid-forward, somewhat edgy top-end response...

Now, of course, the RK-47 is not Eric's HK47 (which I have in my MK-47), so your results may vary...needless to say I asked Cat5 to be so kind as to swap back out with a better version of the Chinese C12-type capsule I had not yet implemented...

;)

I was able to put the HK47  hybrid microphone together with the Cinemag CM-13114. . . upon initial checking, the mic sounded pretty neutral and open to me with the 2uf cap upon initial sound-check.  Dropped it off at the studio and will get more feedback from them.

This prototype is also serving as a verification build for Matador's new ceramic composite boards with resistance properties near PTFE.  I'll see where this iteration lands sonically and then tweak if necessary.

p1082277569-4.jpg

p1082278123-4.jpg

p1082277089-4.jpg

p1082278599-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back