Help the newby.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy

G'day all.

New to mics, but micro solder for a job.
My cousin wants me to build him a clone of either u67, u87, u47fet, km84, d12 or a c12.
Which should I start with? Also I need everything, ie board components, mic shell, schematic. I noticed the threads but there are so many posts on them I'm getting lost. I'm in Australia if that makes a difference for anything.

Thanks everyone.

My guess is that just about everyone here would want one of each of those you have listed.

The D12 is dynamic so you probably will not find parts that will allow you to make an accurate facsimile unless you buy a D12 and use it for parts.

Are you familiar with the other mics to the extent that you can identify which you would like to build first?

If you can zero in on a model you want to make you can focus on the sourcing of parts for that model and you will find that there are a couple or a few kit options available and other wise it is all DIY.

If you want to work with a kit you will find that they are designed for particular bodies, so there is not much to learn about what body to use if you go that route. Select a kit then acquire the body you need.

I'll opine that if you wish to start with a tube mic, that you should not underestimate the design of the power supply. The cheap donor mics come with nasty power supplies and while the kit mods attempt to match the supplies to the modded circuits the mods don't seem to make the PSU any better in terms of quality. It is just my opinion but I am fascinated with power supplies that have top quality parts and construction, while being sized and vented to allow for adequate heat dissipation.

Welcome to the forum.  :)

The D12 is dynamic so you probably will not find parts that will allow you to make an accurate facsimile unless you buy a D12 and use it for parts.

welcome to the Forum

I guess this would mean a D-12 the C12 tube mic clone ,
http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/D-12.html
;)

yep this might be confusing but I like this one a lot,
Best,
Dan,

You may wish to check out http://store.studio939.com.

Also located in the White  Market of this forum.

All parts can be sourced from the page, there is an excellent build thread for that system and both Max and Chunger are regular contributors to this group.

Poctop has a design as well with a very extensive build thread (in addition to other designs).

There must be other designs as well and I have no expertise to comment on the merits of one over the other (although it seems that many have had very good success with both of the above).

I wish you the best on your build and you will find both great support and a great community here at Group DIY

Cheers
Mac

Latest posts

Back