mic mod & "measurements"(Oktava)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooma

I kept thinking about  how big change changing components can make in microphone
and how could I measure it?
came up with a plan(bit ghetto, but gets me started:)
I made a track of various sounds; some microphone test tracks, vocals and some music.
put my mic holder in table vice about 50cm from my genelec,
then recorded that track before and after mod.(did both of them twice)
Files are here;
ennen=before mod
jälkeen=after mod

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0W8l8mVe867fmxVX0ZyRmV6U2xiTmtqZ25vWFlfMjF3QzZyb044dDdzcEM0Wlk3a0taVTg&usp=sharing

mic is oktava mkl2500, modding included changing lytics in mic with low esr-versions bypassed with wima or ero cap.
and removing the resonator in front of the capsule.( what I think might have the biggest difference in sound?)

attachment is Logics channel eq analyzer screencapture, without mod vs.modded. glued on top of each other in photoshop.
taken on random spots of tracks.
First I was bit sceptic how accurate results can this give, but when I tried this on two unmodded tracks there was a perfect fit.
so I'll guess it's ok for this:)

Overal I tried to get mic on the same spot, mic holder was always on the same spot, but theres something like 1mm gap in there
between the mic and holder plate.
1zn9wlv.jpg

(same as in that picture; not the mic or the shockmount but that...that plate-thingy, hole is slighly larger than mic at that spot)
speaker and gain wasnt moved, mic went streight to motu micpre.

these graphs are random snapshots of that "reference track" containing various sounds,
recorded with original mic(blue) and modded mic(red);

Attachments

• mittaus.png
    mittaus.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 116
on psu I rerouted some wires, twisted all ac-wires, made some changes in grounding and removed output connector from pcb and
connected it to mic connector with shielded wire.
+tested adding some capacitance.

PSU was tested placing mic in it's case under plankets, cranking pre to full gain and recording short clip
and this was repeated after mods.
then I went thru clips to find a spot without "any" external sounds ie.only backround noise.
the modded version was something like 1-2db quieter.

Differences overal were really small and dont even know how acurate my measurements really are.
I think there is small difference in sound, but dont know witch is better.
but at least I tried! :)

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 25
Back