FWIW... I'm in the latest episode of 'Shipping Wars'

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

If you have cable, you can see it on A&E this week...  or watch it on-demand at AandE.com

The console is one which I've engineered two Deep Purple albums on, among lots of other great artists over the years. -For some reason, there have been a lot of British acts who recorded there at that studio, covering a bizzarely wide range, too: the Buzzcocks, Foghat, A Flock of Seagulls, weird, huh?

It was somewhat 'scripted', so not everything is exactly as it appears, but it was a bit of fun to do.

If (like me) you don't have cable TV, there's a rather low-res version here. -I think my bit starts about 8-minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtX-OO1jME

That's great.  Such drama! 
Those frames are quite light when you remove all the iron.
I wouldn't have that mover deliver my groceries.  She did all that wrapping/strapping of the frame, and just slamped everything else loose in the back?  Oy vey!
Mike

> I'm shocked... reality tv that is scripted.

Try "North Woods Law". Filmed in the woods near here.

The deal is the crew can NOT interfere with the Wardens' work.

Some of this stuff *couldn't* be scripted.

True, it is *heavily* edited. I'd guess there is 200+ hours of shooting in a 43-minute episode. You can do a lot with a heavy edit-ratio. OTOH 190 of those 200 hours are probably mundane beyond boredom.

I do see occasional re-shoots for continuity. There's a surprise stop, Warden jumps out running, there's a long-shot of the Warden jumping out, but the crew could not possibly have got out before the Warden. Either they asked him to do a quick jump-out after the excitement was over, or found a similar scene in stock footage. (I suspect the former.) And the jump-out bridges the story-telling gap between the sudden stop and the crew catching-up with the Warden confronting the suspected evil-doer, so it serves a purpose.

And yes, after 5 years not only the Wardens but the citizens and poachers know the show and what will play well on TV. This week one Warden admitted there's a lot of hamming-up which doesn't make it onto the show.

Another link... which won't last long either, I'm sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BQuBB9SOA

The editing is indeed a super-high 'discard' ratio. Pickup was actually done over two days, but cuts down to three minute son the show.
the console wouldn't fit through the door, so had to be taken off its frame, which was no small task, since many of the cables ran down through the frame, including ALL of the cabling to and from the patchbay, which had to be detached and removed from the end of the console.

None of this made it on to the show of course. -And there was indeed PLENTY of hamming done for the cameras. They asked me to do some 'goofy' stuff, so...

DB3E7FC2-2AD7-4547-8DB1-23317B12858A_zpsqggwbjgk.jpg

The patchbay prised off the end of the console... (in its new location, the patchbay was being reinstalled at the REAR of the control room, to shorten the console.) All 'spaghetti' looms permanently soldered to the patchbay.

7A17791B-7597-448A-8018-1658827F5915_zpsmd2h9bf2.jpg

Some shots of the console 'hinged' backwards off its base. The base was bolted to the floor, but I noted that the outboard racks were the ideal height to "tip" the upper part of the console back onto (allowing for the difference in floor heights) allowing the stand to be unbolted from the floor.

C0C76268-23AE-440E-AF64-E0C905FCAE67_zpsyiqqpfgo.jpg

0AB9C543-2465-446D-A974-84277A3EF64B_zpsk1v5q5sa.jpg

66269C7F-3C7E-4B35-8C8A-0DC7B5D87D40_zpsrfiyzbzh.jpg

the stand could then be removed...

57BE5A74-F7C5-4CAC-BA40-51F4349C8D0D_zpsbjobqix1.jpg

and the console would THEN fit through a standard doorway... on dollies. There were a few bits sticking out the bottom which we had to be mindful of, but it would now leave the room without knocking down a wall!

once it was into the reception area, I re-mounted it back up on the outboard racks, and the base was re-bolted onto it, at which point it was then re-tipped the right way up...

172BA033-6FD8-4B0F-8FDC-404B822EA183_zpscldgaxyl.jpg

The dollies were now 'shimmed' with multiple corrugated cardboard layers, to recreate the floor height difference from the control room...

C0CD0CA2-1EC7-46EC-9FE0-2D525300B2E3_zpsirm6l44a.jpg

...and out the front double doors it went.

At that particular studio, they ask clients, famous acts etc. to sign the doors. (there's an instance where Richie Blackmore skipped out on signing the door, so the studio actually shipped the entire door with all the other band signatures -Deep Purple- up to Connecticut, at which point he conceded that there really was no way he couldn't sign it.)
So Jenn signed the door...

38FD053B-8437-4F70-94F8-E90F1F027316_zpsanctmhx2.jpg

...and -Just as Patti LaBelle did on one of the other doors- left her kiss-print also.

A1633EC9-407A-40E6-AD33-2A1465692FFD_zpshgo7iytr.jpg

4141CF55-2E71-4DA8-931D-DA18D1ADCA86_zpsbpjpwcrf.jpg

-Then it was time to say goodbye and head out.

4A7C8DC2-8ABE-42F2-98DF-291F253B9360_zpsh21cyuz0.jpg

For a second there, I thought it said Star Wars.  :)

Very cool, Keith!

Gustav

Episode Title:
Shipping Wars Season 7 Episode 19 Holy Horrible Voice Batman

Console segments:
7:40-11:10 - Keith
15:30-17:23 - delivery and smoke-test

SSLtech said:
They asked me to do some 'goofy' stuff, so...
DB3E7FC2-2AD7-4547-8DB1-23317B12858A_zpsqggwbjgk.jpg
This shot (below) is not staged or goofy. I was scheduled to go up in a B-17, but when I arrived I found legs hanging out of the engine.

It was the magneto vibrator. Magnetos make great spark at high RPM but lame at cranking. Many mags use an inertia coupler to whip the rotor at low speed. But the B-17 installation uses a booster buzzer-coil, much like a Model T. Mounted way up inside the nacelle.

They weren't flying that day. I was not too concerned. These birds flew 70,000 pounds to near 40,000 feet. With 7 tourists we would be 39,000 pounds flying low enough to count lobsters. If the engine started it would be fine. If it didn't start the bird would sure take off on 3 engines, though a second engine failure would be distressing (the ground here is hard and the ocean is cold). But they got a vibrator from somewhere and we went up a few days later.

Attachments

• B17-legs.jpg
    B17-legs.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back