t.bone SC600

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrebispo

Hello there GroupDIY.

I have a t.bone SC600 and I haven't found much information on it, regarding its circuit. From the boards' silkscreen, it is based off the SYC400 model (t.bone sc400, Nady SCM-800, SCM-900, etc), but with two capsules.
While I enjoy its sound I was wondering if there are simple mods that could be done to it. Is there a schematic available? I'm not thinking of replacing its capsule, but I'd be willing to sub some components.

Here are some pictures:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12L-zKYtyxGyJGuwUAJhVDf2YgGi6XZnO_Q&authuser=1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M7po0AqhNolDojtyadddLiR_NQn8FJsi3w&authuser=1

You're in luck, it's the most DIY modified circuit in mic history and the most documented. Google "MCA SP1 mod" for a start off point. Ask for help where you find the info or formulate a plan based on your discoveries. Take it in stages making recordings to refer back to so you can evidence any improvements/failings to yourself.

Before you start modifying, first investigate what you like and what you don't like about this microphone.
You should have a certain goal anyway. Modifying for the sake of modifying only is not a good idea.
Also realize that without changing the capsule, the improvements will probably be marginal...

naive1073 said:
You're in luck, it's the most DIY modified circuit in mic history and the most documented. Google "MCA SP1 mod" for a start off point. Ask for help where you find the info or formulate a plan based on your discoveries. Take it in stages making recordings to refer back to so you can evidence any improvements/failings to yourself.

Thanks! I figured that as well, it was just a matter of searching the right reference. :p

RuudNL said:
Before you start modifying, first investigate what you like and what you don't like about this microphone.
You should have a certain goal anyway. Modifying for the sake of modifying only is not a good idea.
Also realize that without changing the capsule, the improvements will probably be marginal...

Good point. I was just thinking of modifying for the sake of it.
But thinking of it, I'd like a bit more airy-ness from it, and frankly, a bit more volume wouldn't hurt either. So, looking at some mods I think I'll probably remove the first layer of mesh and do some diode modifications in the power supply.

Be careful if you remove one or more layers of mesh.
The Faraday shield will become more 'open' and this may increase hum pickup.
Also the sensitivity for 'pop' sounds (air blasts) will increase.
Don't believe anything that is published on the internet... (It seems removing mesh layers is a kind of hype nowadays.)
And realize that Neumann for example did not use 3 layers of mesh without reason!

Phrazemaster said:
Just curious why AKG chose a single layer mesh head basket design for the C12...

... this was just to do it different on the ELAM251  ;)

Seriously, remember that the mesh layers are there for a couple of reasons (some of them mentioned by RuudNL already):
1.) Provide enough screening to avoid hum (otherwise you would have an RF-Receiver)
2.) At the same time being as open as possible to ensure sound waves can travel trough or around the mesh easily and without loosing sound pressure.
3.) Protecting the capsule from plosives and spit or other forms of dirt.
4.) Complex reflecting scheme inside the head basket which is altered if layers are removed. The results are almost always unpredictable.

I am with RuudNL: Don't believe the hype on the net - especially if you are unsure on what the outcome will be.

An easy theoretical experiment you can do for yourself is calculating the wavelength for a couple of frequencies a microphone typically has to transmit. You'll quickly see that even the wavelength for 20kHz (1,7cm) will travel easily through the mesh layers.

Latest posts

Back