Spesific feel in knobs/turning wheels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorphSky

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been answered in previous posts. I couldn't find it through search, but I did enjoy the collections of retro knobs.

I'm designing an interface for choosing items from a menu with Arduino and I would like an old fashioned turning wheel/knob that has proper resistance to it. It would be nice if it felt a little heavy to turn and wasn't seamless. I realize that those two features may cansel each other out. The main point is that it should be easy to operate into one spesific position/step.

I'm new at this, so I would appreciate pointers to any information on how knobs work with digital input (knobs as not push-buttons, but turning wheels) and where to get knobs for Arduino, or how to connect other kinds of knobs to Arduino. I would especially like to know if resistance and heaviness can be changed on implenting it?

As I'm new to this I might ask the worng questions. My main reason for asking is to get started on finding out if it would be possible for me to implement such a knob in my interface. There is a consern about lack of strength in the hands of one of the operators, therefor it should be sturdy and preferably large and with texture. The most important thing is that it doesnt't slide uncontrollably, preferably locking into each step as you turn. The size I think I can adjust by simply putting on a handmade cap if everything else fails.

Thank you for reading.

Try this encoder:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Bourns%2fPEC11-4115F-S0018%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMsWp46O%252bq11WcGoMlc56u%2f2zY5NiTo2V0A%3d

It's stepped and has a nice clicky feel to it. Choose a big knob to put it on top and there you go.

gyraf said:
..note that stepper motors can be used as encoders with a bit of extra circuitry...

Have any links or examples?

seems like an encoder with some real mass to it would FEEL alot better than the little stock ones everyone uses nowadays (cost)

Back