Tremaine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kambo said:
i cant believe its date. 1948  :eek:
What is not to believe?

All the good stuff was known by then. Stereo, transistors, MP3s are just details.

Radio, movies, and records expanded violently from 1920s to 1941. 1942 was supposed to be even better, but war got in the way. 1946 and 1947, people have money, consumer demand is up. Movies, records, and lots of radio ads. Meanwhile a lot of men come out of the war with some cash but little civilian skills, are looking for Education. Accounting, history, nuclear physics.... hey, radio/movie/recording sounds more interesting and such men will probably be In Demand! And it was good work for many years.

I don't know what Howard's racket was. Men returning from the war had government money for education, valid at established colleges, but I don't know if they could spend it at a start-up trade-school. I don't know if he had a Real Facility or a couple cast-off boards in a store-front. It does explain much of why the Audio Cyclopedia is what it is.

me> ...government money for education, ... I don't know if they could spend it at a start-up trade-school.

They could!

This was a big deal at the time. I know one college started stuffing GIs into every room they could find, and jumped from a small-time operation to (ultimately) a real university.

OR-- does the fact this GI Bill claim is in the 1947 ad but not the 1948 ad mean his authorization to take GI Bill money was retracted?

Attachments

• Tremaine-Sept-1947.gif
    Tremaine-Sept-1947.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 15
Practically every Electronics magazine I've seen  from that period was stuffed with Ads for men to study for the new electronics industries and for TV repairmen.  They saw all these radio and radar trained men from the war as suitable candidates I guess.
Interesting times
best
DaveP

Latest posts

Back