rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@rainton:

I'm buying the VU meter, so please consider me as the last missing buyer. I PM'd weiss and we're arranging the payment. He's been very helpful! :)

Thanks

Greeds

JC

@rainton:

Just made a payment to weiss, so the VU issue should be solved, I suppose...

Many thanks for Your help & looking forward for the upcoming build!

Cheers

JC

Good news everyone!  ;D

The chassis metalwork is done and the front panels and rack ears already have their light grey finish.

I picked up everything today!!!
I'll post some pics tomorrow - just want to check if everything is the way it should be. But it looks good so far ;)

I'm waiting for the quote of another screen-printing company to print the front panels - I should have it by the end of the week.
Then we'll go from there.

For details on the print I suggest you join Quayhog's Facebook group.

Also the knurled head thumbscrews arrived!
They are a bit longer than expected - I thought they were 2cm altogether, but the thread alone is 2cm.
So you might want to shorten them to your liking.
Apart from that they look great - very close to the originals on the vintage units :)

Anyway - it's happening!!
Martin

Ok guys,

I put everything together and it looks really good...BUT
there's one serious problem and I only realized it when I placed the new chassis next to my finished LA2A:

The holes for the gain and peak reduction knobs are in the wrong position  :(
It's unbelievable - we checked the drawing at least 10 times and nobody realized the mistake...but we measured all distances from the top left of the unit and only the position of the gain and peak reduction pots we measured from the bottom but entered the value in the CAD as if measured from the top - can you follow me?

In the end that means they are now 7.5cm from the bottom instead of 7.5cm from the top. Basically they are 2.5cm closer to the top than they should be. I don't know how this could happen and I'm pretty devastated at the moment.  :-[

Especially since everything looks so nice apart from that.

I'll attach some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

1hedfp.jpg

14obmzk.jpg

i4pxcj.jpg

Anyway, I checked back all the files and indeed it was my mistake and not the manufacturer's.

Unfortunately I don't see any chance to correct these front panels - I'll have to order new ones :(

I talked to the manufacturer already and of course he is very sorry about it, but the most he could do is to lower the price for me a little because he has the files prepared already and only would have to change those two holes in the drawing.
So the panels would only cost 30€ instead of 42€
And he said he could probably do it in 2 weeks instead of another 4...

Guys I'm so very sorry!!!

I know it was my bad and I'll have it corrected for you! The deal was to deliver you an "original style" LA2A chassis and that is what I'll do.  But it means over 750 Euros to pay out of my pocket and it's killing me right now. So if you want to support me with only 15 to 20 Euros per chassis it would help me so much - then it would be a very small amount for each of us. But I totally understand when you say this is my problem.

Anyway I will copy this post and PM it to everyone in the group buy, so all of you guys know what's going on.

Again, I'm so very sorry - I will set it straight ASAP.
Martin

As long as the knobs don't hit the bezel or other component it's alright with me the way they are.  If Rainton does choose to fix it I think we should help him absorb the cost.
Even with the misplaced holes it's better than I would have produced.

Thank you Jonathan!
Also 6 of you got in touch already to offer some help - I'm really grateful for that!!

Even though some of you might be ok with the misplaced holes, most of you are certainly not. And I totally get that!
The thing is we cannot have both version going to the silkscreener, because the labeling won't match - you know what I mean?

So we have to do all or nothing - and I guess the answer is all...

I just got a call back from the manufacturer and he said he could even offer me to have the metalwork on the new panels done until the end of next, but the varnisher is on vacation as off tomorrow until the 24th of August.

So either he can send me new unpainted panels within one week and I find another way to have them painted, or we'll have to wait until the end of this month to get the new panels.

Let me know what you think

Again so sorry for the inconvenience guys!

I'll never do without a prototype again!
BTW: for the Pultec I working on the prototype build already - but let's try to get the LA2A project sorted first before I show you the first pics ;)

Ahh, I was too fast on the trigger. Already transferred 30EUR.

Quite a blunder getting the faceplate wrong, but I *so* appreciate you doing this so adding some money doesn't feel too bad.

I don't want the faceplate with misplaced pots. Only because this is meant to be as close to the original as possible. Otherwise I'd never care.

Same here. I want the correct panels remade and painted, I'm in no hurry, I will wait as long as it takes, and I'm willing to pitch in to help get things corrected. I hope more of us are willing to do so as well. PMing you now, rainton.

Guys thank you so much!
I'm overwhelmed by your reactions!!

Almost a dozen of group buy members already offered to help me to get this mistake sorted, sent me some encouraging lines and
some even transferred some money already!

I want to let you know I'm so grateful for your support and it reminds me what a great place this is!
I won't let you down guys!

It would be great if we could get some more members to help!
You won't believe how the groups initial support got me from "panic" to "maybe together we can indeed manage to solve this problem" ...definitely very different from "doing it all alone"  :)

I'll try to be as much help as possible when we all build this thing.

How about the painting issue. Some of you wrote me they have no problem waiting until the end of the month and have the front panels painted right there with the manufacturer when the varnisher is back from vacation.
Even though it's drag to wait, I also think this will be the best option, because only then we can be 100% sure that the color will be exactly the same as the rack ears.

In the meantime I'll work with the silkscreener regarding the printing of the panels.

Again thank you so much for all you help - I really appreciate it!!

Martin

I pm'd you and no issue with cost.
Also no hurry for paint etc.

Grateful you're doing this case for us

Cheers
Neil

I've waited this long. What is a few more weeks? Honestly I was surprised he got them back this early.  I'm still waiting for Heyboer to deliver a power transformer.  I couldn't proceed without that anyway.

I'll wait. I'll help with some money if necessary.  I do want it to be right. I'm going to eventually give it to my son.

Back