rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy, the difference of the above mentioned red lines is only 0.4mm from left to right - still it looks totally crooked to me.

My girlfriend didn't notice it at all  ;D

I have to admit though on the pic I uploaded it's a lot more obvious than it actually is looking at the panel in front of me.
Maybe because the pic was taken from an angle as well.

Anyway I want it to be a 100% - that's what we pay them for.

I'll talk to them asap and keep you posted :)

I'm in no hurry. Give them a call and ask what's up with the silk screen registration. Might have just been some random fluke.

Ok guys update-time

What a trip to get this chassis done, but we're getting there! :)

I talked to the boss of the printing company and he was very sorry for the inconvenience.
He said usually they do test print on a dedicated panel - then readjust and fine-tune the silk-screen and then do the final printing.

Since they only had 1 test-panel from me they only had one shot.
Well I said if I they had told me before I could have sent them an extra test panel since I have 29 more erroneous panels here that won't get any use I guess...

Anyway I sent them several pictures this morning with other minor flaws and we went through them on the phone together.
Now I'll send them another 3 test panels - 1 to do the fine-tuning for the new test-print which they in turn will send me for approval.

Then if everything's ok with it I will send it right back to them as a template.
And the 3rd test panel they will use to do adjustments/fine-tuning for the final print of the 30 panels.

I was assured the final panels will be perfect!
And we won't have to wait another 2 weeks of course - they will do the new test print right when they receive the 3 panels I sent them...

It will take some time though, because the entire process includes me sending them the 3 test panels -> they print a sample and send it back to me -> I have to approve it and send it back to them -> THEN the final print will happen.

So as mentioned above this is quite a trip for me and I'm learning a lot, but we're getting there ;)
Martin

I am in the USA and while I like your Idea, and purchased one from a gentleman in Italy in this group, the rear panel part of the Chassis (essentially one piece) was all wrong and made for a less than enjoyable build.  I have been working on a design that is just like the original LA-2a chassis.

The rear part consists of a one piece "shroud" that acts as top and sides, leaving an "L" shaped back and bottom like the original.
I have done a few mock ups done and I have a machine shop ready to go for a run in about 2 months.  I will do a brushed anodized aluminum silk screen front panel minus the Logo (UA owns that and I do respect copyright/trademark law as well as their contribution to maintaining historical electronics)

I am using PEM Nuts like the original too, not crappy rivnuts,  If anyone is interested in a USA builder please contact me.
My cost is still variable as I am planning on having a couple of different shops compete for my business, but it may be quite comparable to the one being offered here.

Just a reminder of the Facebook group. There are 13 members of which 11 are part of the group buy.  A lot of good information has been posted there. It's somewhat slow now but I expect it to speed up a bit once the chassis get delivered and the soldering irons get hot.

We can discuss parts trades, build issues and any relevant (or not so) topics.  Keep it clean and respectful, continue to make my admin job easy. The link is posted below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615927638648181/?ref=browser

Hey Martin,

I kind of screwed up the lamp holder buy. Any idea where I can buy one? Has it been mentioned already somewhere in the thread?

Cheers bro!

Greeds

JC

Hey Martin,

I kind of screwed up the lamp holder buy. Any idea where I can buy one? Has it been mentioned already somewhere in the thread?

Cheers bro!

Greeds

JC

I bought from the second ebay link Unit7 posted about here
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=59538.msg757528#msg757528

And I think they're going to fit nicely. About $10 each I think, though. I tried to set up a GB on these but there was no interest.

Gentlemen,

the new test panel arrived today and it looks perfect!  :)
So I'll send it back as a template for them and approve the rest of the panels to be printed - we're getting closer!

Thank you all so much for your patience!
Martin

Great news! Look fwd to seeing what they came up with.

I for one am glad it's taking a while, and not just because I think it's worth it for quality reasons, but also because I'm broke as hell and can't afford the transfomers and stuff right now :)

rainton said:
But after we got this first run sorted and finished successfully, we can start a second run.
I'll add you guys to the list for run 2, ok.
Please also add me to the 2nd chassis run for at least 2, and I'd also be in for another meter buy. I don't know what was ever decided about the logo, but I'd be one in favor of leaving it blank.

Thanks,
-glt

Short update guys:

still waiting on the final panels. Just called the printing company and they told me they won't have it done before end of next week, because they have an order from a big customer and they are struggling to keep his deadline at the moment...
...and again we are the small fish, so we are not top priority.
I totally get it from an economic point of perspective, but I hate it we are the "small fish"

Anyway I'll keep you posted :)
Martin

This company seems totally ridic. You should let us know what their business is called, so nobody will ever make the mistake again
of ordering something there.

Even DIY Racked didn´t take so long with their custom 1 piece orders, and they take forever.

If you want, I can provide you with some contacts for more reliable silk screening companies in Germany that are hasslefree.

DonnieDarko said:
This company seems totally ridic. You should let us know what their business is called, so nobody will ever make the mistake again
of ordering something there.

Even DIY Racked didn´t take so long with their custom 1 piece orders, and they take forever.

If you want, I can provide you with some contacts for more reliable silk screening companies in Germany that are hasslefree.

Yes please send me those contacts Donnie! :)

The name of the company I ordered from is POSPRINT GmbH

I would talk to their boss and ask for a discount. They can't just set our order back for weeks again and again..

weiss said:
I would talk to their boss and ask for a discount. They can't just set our order back for weeks again and again..

Hi guys,

I suggest, we shouldn't leave all this burden to Martin. He's done all this great work for us already! How about if every one of us, (I mean really... even as small fish, we're still more than 10 buyers, c'm on!) send the company an email (english or german ) and ask them very politely what the heck (ƒvçk) is going on?

@rainton: Only if You're ok with that...

Ok guys,

After being on the phone with one of the companies employees - who gave me the above mentioned response, I wrote their boss an email yesterday explaining the situation.
I just went off the phone talking to him and he said the panels were printed today and are in the dryer at the moment.
He expects them to ship on Monday :)

It still bothers me that you always have to waste the extra time and do the extra phone calls until things get done.

But on a different note: the friend who helped me designing the chassis - he's actually designing medical devices, told me that if you develop something where many suppliers are involved, you most definitely always need an extra staff member just do those extra phone calls, put some extra pressure on the suppliers etc. because somebody is messing up every time.  ;D

It's ridiculous how much time I spent doing those kind of things - even for such small things as the hinge for example...
Anyway we're getting there ;)

Latest posts

Back