rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did only a small addon PCB. Hours of design, test, hours of mailing, hours of support... I know what it is and I won't blame you. It's an hard work with no profit at all (not at that price) and there's always poeple to comment your work/choise !
Man, congrats !

rainton said:
Ok guys,

After being on the phone with one of the companies employees - who gave me the above mentioned response, I wrote their boss an email yesterday explaining the situation.
I just went off the phone talking to him and he said the panels were printed today and are in the dryer at the moment.
He expects them to ship on Monday :)

It still bothers me that you always have to waste the extra time and do the extra phone calls until things get done.

Hey Martin,

Many thanks again for Your dedicated help!

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers!

JC

But on a different note: the friend who helped me designing the chassis - he's actually designing medical devices, told me that if you develop something where many suppliers are involved, you most definitely always need an extra staff member just do those extra phone calls, put some extra pressure on the suppliers etc. because somebody is messing up every time.  ;D

It's ridiculous how much time I spent doing those kind of things - even for such small things as the hinge for example...
Anyway we're getting there ;)

Today the final panels arrived!
I haven't gone through all of them yet, but they look really good so far!

I will put the first chassis together tomorrow and give you more info asap.

Also it might be worth it checking the Facebook group then :)

rainton said:
Today the final panels arrived!
I haven't gone through all of them yet, but they look really good so far!

I will put the first chassis together tomorrow and give you an update asap.

Also another it might be worth it checking the Facebook group then :)

Great!!!

This is the official result :)

2w3pds6.jpg

For more information check our FB group.

I'm on the road until Thursday and will be starting to ship the chassis as soon as I'm back home :)

Some of you already gathered all the parts for the build while some others don't have any parts yet.
It would be great to know who is absolutely ready to go, and I would ship those orders first if the rest is ok with it...

For those who want to use the "Teletronix" style Sifam replacement meter you'll might want to do one slight modification to the front panel since  - as I found out just now when putting together a chassis for the first time using the "Teletronix" style Sifam replacement meter I got from Weiss:

Sifam designed their Bezel slightly different from the original Beede meter bezel.
I made a quick illustration to give you an idea:

fenqki.jpg

Above the cutout the original meter only overlaps the cutout by about 2mm, while the Sifam replacement meter overlaps the cutout by approx. 5mm.
That means, since in my front panel the distance between the VU meter cutout and the mounting hole for the lamp holder is the same as in the original unit,  the meter will still fit but the bezel will overlap the screw that holds the lamp holder by about 1.5mm - pic attached:

35nbzu8.jpg

But as you can see in the illustration above, the bezel also overlaps the cutout below the meter. So I tried it already and if the issue is bothering you, it's very simple to file off the lower edge of the cutout by about 1.5 - 2mm. Since the edge is covered by the bezel later it's almost impossible to mess up, and since the bezel is mounted to the front panel by some brackets on the left and right side it will still sit tight as it should.

Let me show you how I did it - it took me less than 10 minutes: first take a ruler and draw a line about 1.5 or 2mm below the lower edge of the cutout (preferably on both sides of the panel):

24q4cw8.jpg

Then file off the lower edge - use the line as reference:

6rpzxi.jpg

I used a clamp to mount the panel during the procedure but I covered the panel with a thick piece of old clothes where the clamp holds the panel so to not leave any scratches. The easiest way to do it  is to use the file in something like a 45° angle towards the panel - first from the one side and then from the other. Then flatten the edge by filing horizontally:

2ame0g.jpg

In the end it should look something like this:

e7m07o.jpg

Now if you put in the bezel:

zja1kg.jpg

Then use the brackets to mount the meter:

2z4idde.jpg

and done!

biuf5u.jpg

If you don't use the "Teletronix"style meter but the regular Sifam meter instead, there's no modifiaction needed.

If there's a second run I might just move the VU meter cutout down by 2mm - even though it's not the original position or I will make the VU meter cutout simply 2mm larger, so those using the regular Sifam meter can mount it in the original position and those using the "Teletronix" style meter can move the meter & bezel down to not get in the way of the lamp holder mounting hole...

If you feel you are totally incapable of doing the modification yourself, I would offer to help you, but as mentioned above it's literally impossible to mess up ;)

Oh i didn't know that there were different measures  :-\
But it appears to be solved easily! Thanks for your effort!

Hi Martin

I'm happy to do any required work on my end. You're welcome to go ahead and ship to me. Let me know if there are any extra costs due to my location.  Live your work, mate!!!

When's the Pul build?

Shaker-her said:
Hi Martin

I'm happy to do any required work on my end. You're welcome to go ahead and ship to me. Let me know if there are any extra costs due to my location.  Live your work, mate!!!

When's the Pul build?

Hello Martin,

I'm ready to build,too!

Hope to get the chassis & the Uv-meter soon!

Thank You!

Cheers

JC

Gentlemen,
I'm proud to announce that after months of planning, waiting and organizing the first chassis are ready for dispatch and will ship later today!!  :)
You'll get a tracking number as soon as your chassis will be shipped.

I'll try to ship the rest of the chassis as the week progresses.

I really hope you like the result ;)

Martin

nickhepfer said:
just recognized that Universal Audio didn't care about the overlapping bezel, lol :p

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LA2A

Hahaha - you're right!  ;D ;D ;D
unbelievable!
So you can leave our chassis without modification and have it "reissue" style or do the modification and have it original style  ;)

Shaker-her said:
Hi Martin

When's the Pul build?

Alright James!
I'll send you the tracking number as soon as they've shipped.

The pultec build is coming very soon - stay tuned!

Ok guys,

12 chassis shipped so far - more to come :)

Please bear with me - I have a lot of work at the studio at the moment and putting together the chassis and packing them up takes far more time than expected. With the little time I have I hardly manage to ship 5 chassis a day...but we're getting there ;)

As I there's already quite some interest in a second run, I decided since the first run is pretty much completed now - I will open the feeler for a 2nd run until the 27th of November.

Also I will have to raise the price for the group buy a little since there is so much stuff I just underestimated in the first run like expenses for screws, shipping fees of all the necessary parts I needed to put together etc. -  and the endless amount of work.

I hope you understand :)

I am interested in possibly getting 2, but I had a couple of questions:
-What is the new target price per unit (you probably don't know until you know how many units your getting but just ballpark)
-How much would you charge shipping to the US.
-Target ship date (I wanted to have my units built by the end of December because I am recording in January and wanted to use them)

I was wanting to build a couple of these and found your blog about a week ago.  Looks like you have done a really good job. 

I'm in on getting one of them. I already have an original NOS triad power transformer ready to go for it. I want it with the teletronix logo like the one you did. I'm in the San Francisco area of the US.

jpharaoh said:
I am interested in possibly getting 2, but I had a couple of questions:
-What is the new target price per unit (you probably don't know until you know how many units your getting but just ballpark)
-How much would you charge shipping to the US.
-Target ship date (I wanted to have my units built by the end of December because I am recording in January and wanted to use them)

I was wanting to build a couple of these and found your blog about a week ago.  Looks like you have done a really good job.

Well the target price indeed depends on  how many people participate. I'm pretty positive we reach 20 chassis, but we'll see.
Read more on the pricing in the (updated) first post of this thread.

Shipping to the US for up to 2 chassis is 35 Euros incl. insurance and tracking number.

Target shipping date is hard to tell, but since the feeler thread is opened until November 27th - I can only place the order afterwards.
And it takes at least 4-6 weeks from the point where all funds are collected to the finished chassis.

That's because:
- first the chassis and front panels have to be manufactured
- then the front panels have to be painted
- then silk-screened

All this happens at different places, so parts have to be shipped from here to there etc.

As you might have noticed in this thread, in the first run I underestimated the time involved in all this.

And finally I have to put the chassis together, pack them up and ship them to you...
...since now the problems from the first run are solved it maybe might work out that the chassis are ready by the end of December,
but I definitely can't promise...

Martin

Back