Recommend a next build for my small studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteC

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for advice on a good next build for my small project studio.
I am a rock guitarist and songwriter with Logic X and Harrison Mixbus as my main DAWs.  Drums from BFD 2.0.  Also mainly Waves plug ins.

I need some advice on what to add to my studio set up to complement and extend the tracking and production capabilities.

So far I have built up my own mics and outboard comprising of :
* 1 Gyraf G7 Mic
* 2 Diy ribbon mics
* 4 channels of Green Pre
* 2 channel of REDD47 mic pres
* A GSSL bus compressor
* 2 Pultec EQ clones
* 2 Bo Hansen DI boxes
* Lots of stompboxes including Neovibes ( Univibe clone )
* various replica Park and Marshall amps - Park 1210 head, Park 50w JMP style, Marshall 18watter, a Deluxe clone, and a 50 watt ODS style amp.
* Various Cabs

I'm thinking I could really do with either an 1176 next for vocal/instrument duties, or perhaps some other more surgical EQs. Maybe a Neve style channel strip would be a good addition ?

What do you think would be a logical next step ? 

I am moving into a new room which is being built later in the year so room treatment and monitors will be the most important things then - but for now I want to plan a good addition to the outboard gear.

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed !

Thanks
PeteC ( UK )

Already got a great setup there. In my opinion, 1176 is a must. Or try the La2a? Then you could go for the 1084 by bluzzi, which i am planning to do next as well. But i'd rather not try for surgical EQ's. I think this is still better to to do ITB (unless you are some kind of mastering guy of course).

Definitely 1176 rev d. I sold my UA rev d after I built two rev d's and an 'a' and kept the wa76. I use them all, all the time.
The ez1290 and ez1084 are fantastic.  Comparable if not better than my other factory made Neve clones.
D-LA2A is still my favorite project from here. I learned the most building it and it is as great as they say. There's a learning curve though.
But if learnings a bit what you want cant go wrong with Ruff Records stuff. Lotta variety, there's a ton of support but no one is doing it for you.

You should get into the 500 rack series , you could build a hairball 1176 or many of them
the 500 offerings continue to explode so many options and  flexibility
Bluzzi's Neve offerings are good too, solid , two good directions for you.

Hi Folks,

well I finished the 1176 Hairball (Micandmod) kit and its doing fine in the project studio.

What should I build next -  a Neve style pre ?  I have Green pre's and REDD47 clones as inputs so far - maybe an NYD one-bottle or something too ?

PS - I like 19" format stuff rather than 500.

cheers
Pete

Hi Wintree

I did a scratch build of 2 channels of REDD47 in a 3U 19" rack space , to my own layout with Sowter transformers and Mullards.
I love it - great front end for my small set up.  I added a Jensen-style mic pre switching set up, phantom power and attenuators to both channels.

I have pics of the build somewhere if you are interested.

Cheers
Pete

Back