• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Soundcraft Ghost, with Meterbridge -Fully refurbed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

I have a 32-channel Ghost which I've recently refurbished. Coming from a local studio which never allowed smoking indoors, and maintained its equipment regularly.

0E5651DD-748F-4B4E-8BCC-C5F2BF6B5496_zpstaxen7r7.jpg

The console has been stripped down to bare chassis, the chassis cleaned thoroughly, And all parts cleaned.

FC8BB832-98D1-4E4D-8246-8E2E1842B345_zpssbv3wpzz.jpg

6FDC1270-1908-4EAB-9FD8-E40B7225F481_zpsemynskya.jpg

AC87E9FE-22A9-432E-A290-468D217CF435_zpsvitvuyxb.jpg

All input boards have had ANY sockets which even hinted at giving any intermittent contact problems REPLACED. (intermittent normalling contacts are a common issue with this model, but this console does not suffer from ANY such problem!)

F018FC68-5845-4E3C-9CE9-E0A868DF160C_zpsyhs1mroz.jpg

Any issues with ANY modules (eg crunchy switches, or non-functioning EQ bands) have been repaired. EVERY part of this console has been tested and functions as it should.

Faders have been removed, 'de-dusted' with compressed air, lubricated, tested, and replaced.

All knob and fader caps have been cleaned in a degreasing bath, to look and feel as good as new again.

32 channels, 64 inputs (plus returns) in mix, all with level and pan controls. Every path tested and working.

I always liked the Ghost console; fully parametric EQ on every module, in line layout, and I seriously doubt you'll find a better-maintained example of a Ghost used.

44053D3E-146C-44A3-8295-A17EEC9BD310_zpshlii4ssr.jpg

D83D1886-B658-4B02-9769-91A30A857B2A_zpsoxevzps0.jpg

3E551EAB-D29B-4890-B294-BB722603D92B_zpsiwamob3x.jpg

0C51FE8D-F999-40BE-AF26-9B906AE03BC2_zpsmcrf3cjt.jpg

84E01F18-AE4A-4A8F-A498-796974A5B823_zpstkfntwqf.jpg

14737D2B-559C-4E25-82EE-93D2AB4D9700_zps7cq9flvq.jpg

$1400. -Complete with upgraded CPS275 power supply (the original PSM290 switch-mode unit was unreliable and was generally despised; the linear CPS275 supply was an upgrade costing over $900 on its own) The PSU has been cleaned out and Load-tested for24 hours, to confirm correct operation.

18FBDEAB-22E0-4106-A93A-FBBF5F402285_zps1wzbyt9a.jpg

083F734D-2BE4-4CB2-88B4-AEE1BD09844B_zpsiunnssnh.jpg

A nice long (over 30 feet long) power supply cable, and meter bridge. The meter bridge is also tested and 100% working. Every single LED segment on every channel works exactly as it should.

That's a great price for a great 32 channel console with meter bridge too.
And an amazing deal when you consider the hours of work that have gone into the service.

I had one of these in our studio for 5 years and liked it a lot.  It had one eccentricity, which was that two of the meters were reversed, so 27 came up on 28 and vice versa.
Sometimes the input XLRs came loose and needed re-soldering, but Keith has taken care of that.

We would have kept ours but we needed the space more than we needed 32 channels.

Bargain for someone, somewhere!

Im not gonna say what I paid for mine that was in mint condition and one of the last off the factory floor but I will say this is a steal.

Thanks fellas.

Stewart, the loom inside your console would have had two connectors reversed... (a ten second fix, although you have to add the twenty minutes to remove -and then replace- the bottom panel!)

I'm almost known as "the ghost whisperer" in these parts, nowadays.  Some years ago I had this 'carousel' made to service these units, when I had over twenty of them to look after:

Topview.jpg

Flip.jpg

This really DOES make servicing them (particularly when it comes to probing or tracing) a breeze!

Located in Orlando, Florida. -Should have mentioned that earlier.

Contact me also if you're looking for a spare power supply, or want to upgrade from a (switch-mode)  PSM290 to the (linear) CPS275.

keithwandrews at bellsouth (put-a-dot-here) net

SSLtech said:
Stewart, the loom inside your console would have had two connectors reversed... (a ten second fix, although you have to add the twenty minutes to remove -and then replace- the bottom panel!)

Flip.jpg
Just thinking about this some more... you can actually SEE the row of connectors which feed into a narrow 'loom', towards the bottom of the photo above.

There's a greyish-looking loom (actually black and white wires) right against the back panel at the very bottom in the picture, and about two inches above that, is a 'rainbow' color-coded loom also running left to right.

Your problem would have been solved by switching the little plugs in the 'rainbow' loom on channels 27 and 28.

I know it's long gone now, but these things gnaw away at me. -I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my own stuff...

Make note: -ALWAYS buy from a perfectionist!  :D  ;)

Keef

Wow, great job!
I just gave away a Soundcraft Delta (AVE), bought it in a sorry state, and never got around to properly clean and fix it, such a monumental job (and in my case best left to the pro's). Good to see people are restoring these consoles (although a Ghost is quite unequal to a Delta! :D ).

Geez... I'm a short drive away... I'm going to think hard on this one...

Am I stupid for just building around a Focusrite/Audient 2802??? :eek:

haha... not stupid at all.

I like Audient stuff, although it really depends on HOW you want to work as to what approach works 'better'.

The studio is in Longwood, FL. -Any time you want to look it over, let me know.

Keef

I'm in the market for a board. I'm in South Alabama and Orlando is not a bad drive, and the price is within my budget. I've never actually heard a soundcraft ghost before.  How does it compare to a Yamaha M 1516?  I use a sound craft GVR 2–16 for my live band stuff and I'm real pleased with the preamps in the queue for live applications. Just curious about this ghost console.I use a soundcraft GBR 2–16 for my live band stuff and I'm real pleased with the preamps and the EQ for live applications. Just curious about the Ghost for studio mixing.

I can hardly be trusted as impartial, since I have an interest in the sale, but I always liked them.

The stereo bus is very low noise indeed, specially during mixdown, and there are operator tricks to keep the mixbus gain very low indeed, specially if you're not using the 'Mix-B to stereo' function... although to be honest, even with Mix-B to stereo and subsequently all 64 plus the 4x stereo returns fed to the main stereo bus, it's still NOT a hissy or noisy console.

The studio that this is at is the same studio which had an API console, (the one which I engineered two Deep Purple albums on, and the same one which I shipped on the recent 'Shipping Wars' A&E TV reality show episode) and while it doesn't have the same phenomenal headroom, or sheer 'size' and 'character' that the API had, it's definitely no slouch.

Again, since I'm not impartial, I'd suggest listening to what other users say; Stewart for example is someone in particular who knows good sound from bad...

Me? -I definitely always liked them.

A bump, and to add that I just sold an identical console to a buyer in Chicago...  He booked a flight down, rented a van and is driving it up to Chicago.

He seems absolutely delighted with the purchase... I now have a second one for sale (same spec) which has received exactly the same tender loving care.

Keef

SSLtech said:
The one for sale is currently in Chicago...  Any midwesterners who want to grab a console bargain... this is your chance!

Hello There!  Your inbox is full.  Please email me or message me ( I have an active email button on my profile ).

Hi im interested in having a chat with you regarding a ghost console , i have tried to message you but your mail box is full .

Can you drop me a message please .

Kind Regards Carl

Back