Fédéral am864 input transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi there

I've read the threads but found nearly nothing about that one. I would like to know if anybody had succès using the wsm/xsm 600/10k at the input? I know some folks used it but never replied about how it comes out. Thanks guys

If you meant DIY then I did

and still in there for 2ple years now
been using more than a track in every song seems like.

Didn't find any reason to replace it so its still there

Sound wise OK, sorta Clean and less color compare with UTC or others

Noise wise also no problems so far.
I guess my DIY Fed 864 has tubes are DC fired,
and have separate power unit might helping bit
if you have noise then you might want to shield it or go for other

Allright. Thanks. Looking at noise, the input and output transformer Will be around 12 inches far from the power transformer, which Will be outside the case, so noise Will not be an issue. I'll probably go with the xsm600:10k.

Thanks. Actually, it's for a client and he has a pretty limited budget so I don't have plenty of margin to experiment  ;D

Anyway, Edcor looks just fine, as long as I distenced it from the psu.

Someone did a nice build using Edcors and put shield covers over them I recall, close to original layout, slight redesign with 9 pin tubes.  Seen that one?

No I didn't. Lots of threads got back to 2005 so pictures aren't still available. If I follow you, the guys simply cover the input tranny with a pice of metal, or something like that?

even an electrical box should do the trick then. One thing about it's grounding. When I build stuff, I usually scratch paint to get good continuity between all parts of the chassis. So if I got a good contact between the "box" and the chassis (which has good contact with the main bolt and all other ground points) is it sufficient or I would be beter off to strap a wire from one of the box's mounting bolt to the nearest ground point / main bolt? From what i understand, when I got input transformer from, for exemple, cinemag, he strongly recommand to connect the can of the transformer (mu metal) to chassis to the nearest mounting bolt. So here, I see the box the same way as the can around the transformer, so it need to be chassis grounded, not taken to the signal/analog ground.

I will be satisfied in your first way.
Scrached surface and tight bolt will do.

Hope your client will like Edcor as input. I kinda like it with input 864

God luck

Latest posts

Back