Gearslutz new business....the film cap polarity spinner industry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First 6 seconds tole me a lot. This is a junk museum more than a working lab. Over a dozen 'scopes? Most placed so you could not see them from the bench? Most with no probes/leads? Most as old as the owner? (I have one of those H-Ps out in the driveway.) Several older than *me*? Couple other odd items of little use?

I know the outside-foil theory. Touch the cap with your finger. If it buzzes, maybe the other way is better? However in most audio work, the foil-foil capacitance is SO much higher than the foil-interference capacitance that both ways work about the same.

What you mean you haven't got a '545 somewhere? :D

He does get some impressive differences.(around the 11min mark for you)
My point is once the idea spreads, techs will be ripping open desks for capacitor 'upgrades' once again....

R

I'm not going to watch the video but back in the day when I used a lot of polystyrene caps,  they had a mark to indicate which lead was connected to the outer wrap, I don't claim it makes a huge difference, but there is a right and wrong way to use such caps so I always tried to use them the right way.

JR

I'm not going to watch the video past the 18 second mark, but agree that the outside foil bit with caps is old news, and something I thought was common knowledge amongst people over a certain age.  Drop the circuit next to a radio transmitter and orientation might make a difference.  Guys place looks like a standard HAM shack collection. 

I've been enjoying this guy's videos lately.

Only thing that's irked me is when he recommended to buy the cheapest 12ax7 you can because there is no significant difference, and in fact that the new chinese ones are built much better.

Chinesium tubes. Here is a short thing we discovered on chinesium tubes. For the life of them they can not design a tube to perform correctly. I have been through this in several project designs where something as simple as a 12at7 with a gain factor of 60 often would test well below the mark. We often had 12at7 made of chinesium testing with a gain factor of 29. Hardly the 12at7 they labeled it as.  This had to do with the spacing inside the tube and no matter how many times we made corrections they never corrected it looked right so in their eyes it was right. This makes it especially hard when you design circuits with help from  the rca tube handbook. Now mind you this is not even getting into sonics, this is just purely function to which they did not do very well.

Back