condenser mic cuts out with volume for several seconds

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriessen

My CAD gxl2200 condenser mic cuts out with volume for several seconds.  So far, I get many google hits of theories that "it'sjust normal", but a few that say, "no, condenser mics that have dirt or humidity distort, then come right back in a tenths of a second.

Another theory I see is that it is an aging of electrolytic caps problem.

What do you all think?

John Griessen

Hello,
It could be humity between the Backplate and the Diagramm. This  causes a discharge  of the Capsule because the polararisation ( Bias ) Voltage is shorted against 0 Volt. It can last a few Seconds to charge again because of the high Biasresistor. If so it s a bad , most of the Times unfixable Problem because it s very difficult to get rid of the Humity without a reskinn of the Capsule. You could try to bake the Capsule ( without the Mount ) in Your Kitchenoven at 50 Degrees Celsius for a few Hours. It s  important to cool down the Oven very slowly because otherwise the Humity can return.  If this doesn t help, You need a new Capsule. Maybe You can ask CAD  to send You a Replacement.. I don t think it s a Capitor or Fet Failure. Do You have another Capsule to try ?
Good Luck,
Greatings
Lothar.

Please don't bake your capsule! What your hearing is most likely contamination on the capsule. Get some one reputable to look at it. A good cleaning could likely fix it. The only other scenario I can think of is that you have a pinhole in one of your membranes. If you haven't had the headbasket off then that's unlikely.

Hello,
Thank You Tim for clearing it up that a " bake" is not a good Idea. I did it once with a M 7 where I had exactly the same Problem like John. It helped  to bake it for 5 Hours at 60 Degrees Celsius after it  worked a while, but than the  Capsule went for a Reskinn.
The Ampcircuit from this Mic is Frequencylinear so If the Capsule is defektive  it could be replaced with a K 47, CK 12 Type . This could even upgrade the Mic If You chose  a  good Quality. Maybe it s better and the same Money than to buy a original  Replacementcapsule If Yours is really defektive . If a cleaning is nessesary it is probably better to consult a Expert , because If You make a small Mistake, the Capsule is spoiled.
Here You can read a great Post from SSLtech how to clean a Capsule
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22287.msg263439#msg263439

Here You can read a little Bit about this Mic. You can find a lot of Information in the Web about modding this Mic. But it s not always for the Better.....
http://microphone-parts.com/pages/cad-gxl2200-mods
Sorry  for the wrong Information with the baking.
Greatings
Lothar

Thanks.  I already "dry cleaned" it with an artist brush.  maybe that's what is causing it.

I'll clean the perimeter more with water and some alcohol sparingly if greasy.

Is it a centered terminated capsule? A picture would help.
If it's center terminated the contamination is likely at the center. There is a hole here and contamination can build up a connection to the backplate with moisture.
Does it cut out when you play an instrument into or just with your voice?
If it cuts out with an instrument or loud noise it's most likely a hole. If it only cuts out from your voice it's most likely contamination.

Latest posts

Back