Distortion meter for MAC OSX

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatnik

Hi,

I am trying to find a good software for Mac OS to measure distortion

Do you have anything to recommend ?

I found good software for Windows system but they don't have Mac version

'Distortion meter' is a wide category. A useful free tool for MacOS is LTspice, which runs on MacOS and Windows. It is of course a simulator, but it can be used to analyze the distortion of a circuit, as simulated through SPICE models of the components used in the circuit. And, of course, this is only useful if you're simulating an analog circuit.

If you're looking to measure an analog circuit, then a very wide range of hardware is available, with a wide range of price and capability. Likewise for devices in the digital domain.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what sort of device do you want to analyze? In the general case, there is nothing that does all of this well, but if you narrow the scope of your inquiry, there are probably a number of good solutions for your specific problem.

I like fuzz measure for some things, plots few harmonics amplitude vs frequency for example. I found it quite useful, it doesn't make real time analysis, it uses a sweep and then gives you a lot of information from there. The free version IIRC is quite useful already.

There are others, Smaart can measure distortion, spectrafoo too, among other things. In any case the sound card may be a limiting factor for some cases. One project I have in my head for this kind of things is build a low THD oscillator and a tracking filter, then you analyze the signal after the filter and compare to the amplitude of the oscillator frequency before it and you have a THD meter capable of measuring things well over the sound card capability, mainly limited by the oscillator and filter distortion, as you filter the central frequency and you get rid of it at your measurement equipment so no distortion is added there (some, of course but you are distortion the harmonics so you will already be orders of magnitude lower than what you are trying to measure.

JS

Faberacoustical Signalscope measures THD &  N and more in the 49 USD version.
But I have no experiences with it

http://www.faberacoustical.com/products/signalscope/signalscope_details/

Latest posts

Back