SVC-350 from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Hi,

As the title says, I want to try to recreate the Roland SVC-350 Vocoder.  My reason for choosing the svc are that it sounds great from the videos I've seen.  Also, I imagine a ton of satisfaction from putting a few hundred dollars to build something myself that goes for >$1000 on the market.  I'm looking to this forum to help me with some of the challenges of this project.

My initial plan is to put together the part list on octopart (this involves figuring out what goes where).  From there I'll try to piece together the schematic, one section at a time, possibly on a lab bench with an oscilloscope.  I'll work towards getting a functional 1 channel vocoder and from there i'll drop in the other 10 channels.  I'm not so sure I care about the ensemble section.  I think I may outsource a PCB manufacturer (i'm familiar with making eagle files-it's part of my day job). 

The inital challenge I see is getting all the right components in the right spots.  Does the schematic give enough information.  Possibly one of you might know how to identify which Diode or Transistor goes where (since there are only a handful of semiconductors in the parts list it may be obvious to someone with more knowledge than me as to which part goes where).  Here's the service manual: http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/effects/Roland_SVC-350_ServiceNotes.pdf

You could redraw pcb's or maybe even Photoshop it from that service manuals layout..
Not sure were there any obsolote components?

I had one of these on loan 15 years ago and loved it!
If you make pcb's for sale im in for a set:)

Hey, I have previously owned one of these and can confirm their great sound, ensemble is also quite nice, but pushing up build complexity.
Though it is quite nice... ;)

Latest posts

Back