Ambisonic vs Double ms

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i'm about to experiment with these 2 recording techniques and i was wondering if anyone who has already done it would want to share some pointers. I should add that i'm mainly interested in using it in field recording and that is why i thought the double ms with a shotgun as a mid  might be good.
Thanks

What do you ... need ... to hear at the time of recording??

Depending on what ambisonic microphone you are using you may only be able to hear the capsules, not the full effect.

What are you doing?  Is this all just research for a university ... or ?

At the time of recording i could just hear one or 2 capsules. I realize that listening with headphones i wouldn't get the full effect.
I'm recording sound effects and ambiences and so far i've been mainly using 3 channel recording one shotgun and a XY it works well but i'm wanting to try other set ups .

I am interested in this too. I'm wondering how well these techniques represent image in stereo. Will double mid-side be a phasey mess, or is there a compelling way to present it in headphones?

My limited understanding of ambisonics is that it divides a spherical image into equal parts using pairs of matched omni spaced pairs. Is this an accurate description? Has anyone out there tried a scaled down version of it in stereo?

cdhoffman said:
My limited understanding of ambisonics is that it divides a spherical image into equal parts using pairs of matched omni spaced pairs. Is this an accurate description?
Not even close. There's no spaced ANYTHING. and only one "Omni".

It's single-point, absolutely time-coherent, and immensely powerful. Read about it on sites like ambisonics.org.

I use Soundfield mics all the time, They are fantastic.

Latest posts

Back