Fios Internet

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxmonster

Hi Guys,

I have fios for my internet and all was working fine for the past two years or so and now for the past 3 days or so  I have been having issues where pages are not finishing loading all the way.  Sometimes I will have to hit the X in my browser and then hit the refresh button and then it usually loads quick and all the way.  It happens on all websites and on all of my devices.  Laptops, ipad, desktop mac, iphones.  Its getting annoying now and a pain in the ass.  I have called them twice and they have had me reset my fios router and then had me on the phone for an hour while they were doing network tests and could not find anything wrong.  After the hour on the phone they said they would give my router a new IP and that I had to reset it in the morning and it is still doing it.  Can my modem be going bad?  Don't know what else it could be.  Like I said it is doing it on all of my devices.  So it has to be a bug or something in the router.

Thanks
-Scott

Called Fios again and of course they are out.  No one is home!!!!!!

Found this article and made this one little change and BINGO,  web pages are loading  fast and all the way again.  Don't know what any of it means but hey so far so good.

http://chrisbenard.net/2014/02/25/How-to-Fix-Verizon-FiOS-Problem-Connecting-to-Websites/

> Don't know what any of it means

I'm out of practice explaining this stuff, so I may miss a detail.

You wanna transfer a many-mega-byte file. Kitten video, smut, repair manual, whatever.

If sent non-stop as one huge chunk it would tie-up the wires for everybody else. Also if there was one error the whole file would have to be sent again.

If the file is broken into small chunks, with numbers to guide re-assembly, they play nice with other small-chunk transfers over the wires, and if a small chunk is found missing then just the one chunk has to be re-sent.

How big is a small chunk?

Well, hard to say. There's a standard, but it has to include some overhead and stuff. It may be a very different number on long wires than short wires.

As long as both ends agree, imps re-pack the chunks as needed and it goes through.

It looks like Verizon is telling your box one number and their own imps a different number. Depending which way the mistake goes, you may be getting packets with the ends cut-off. Your router or PC asks for re-transmission. But this is happening on EVERY packet and EVERY re-try. The line is totally bogged.

You say you do get pages but horribly slow. This suggests that Verizon has multiple imps in teams and only some of them are mis-configured. If you re-re-re-try, eventually you get the packet through an imp using the right chunk-size, no error, finally happy.

I too remember (20 years back on DSL) setting my MTU (max chunk size) a few bytes short of what it was supposed to be. I also had a ethernet hub which choked easily, but I think that avoided trouble when my ISP (yes Verizon or maybe even NJ Bell) got its MTUs mis-set.

It's insidious and something the average tech-support person does not know about. A hot-shot ISP will quickly escalate repeated complaints to somebody with a clue. My experience with Telephone Companies is that they treat network staff like mushrooms: dark room, crap thrown on, and frequent harvests (quits or lay-offs). If a problem can't be solved by reading the Holy Script, then it isn't a real problem.

Glad you found the step-by-step and it worked for you.

Thanks for the info PRR,

You were right on the money with your explanation.  I think when I was having the issue it was causing something to get stuck loading and it was just in a loop, bogging it down.  Can't believe VZ couldn't fix it.  Wonder if they ever will.  I will have to try putting it back one day and see how it works, but for now its just staying like this.  Not going to cry over loosing 4bytes.  I don't even notice it.

Thanks

Back