Quadrant Faders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flybynite

Hello folks,
I am new around here and I hope am posting in the correct place.  I have a number of Painton quadrant faders which I salvaged from a large 60's/70's Calrec TV desk.  I have had them for years and am thinking about building a small line mixer for theater work. The back lit number strips appeal as  do the back stop PFL switches. The other switches can be used to start CD players etc.  You know where I am going with this idea.  My question is a more ethical one than a technical one.  There might  be people out there who are trying to keep old mixers going to whom these faders would be life savers and I wouldn't like to play even a tacit part in the demise of a piece of our history.  Your views please - are these 'hens teeth' or bits of junk I can play with?
Thanks in advance. 
I can take a few pics if need be and post them.

Those faders are pretty bulletproof, so I don't think you would be depriving anyone of a replacement spare.

Have fun with them and consider it "giving the faders a second life"!

I appreciate you considering the ethics side of the 'hens teeth' question.  I am constantly bothered by various examples of hacking and use of rare parts for new purposes, when other more readily available parts would do the job AND there are people constantly in search of those rare parts for restorations.  Not to say your case fall in that category.  Worth considering. 

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.  I have been reading around about these faders and I thought I should mention, just for the record, that the faders I have are not the stud type but are carbon track and have a value of 10k.  I also have a few stud faders and they seem to be the same case design.  I suppose the carbon track version were the last. 

best regards.

Latest posts

Back