capitol records presents how records are made with mel blanc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some real Bozo technology there. I loved my Bozo Approved record player.

Interesting to see the old (pre-record-stack) Columbia studios.

8 inputs *with EQ* to record Jimmy Wakely (who was later a Name in the studio biz).

I was a bit surprised when Mel agreed to go to Scranton. Old-school record plants were nasty dark and dirty. But if you watch cynically, you see Mel never went to Scranton. There's file-footage from United Airways. There's a "Scranton Secretary and Exec" who look Hollywood to me, and that bit was probably filmed in Calif. After that it is some other film which tried to make a record plant look good (it fails, probably why they asked Mel to wrap it).

The "precision mixing" is ludicrous compared to modern techniques (at least in other fields).

Separating the platings looks even more careless than I'd heard. The centering machine "could" be accurate, if the operator cared; we know from magazines of the day that centering was often approximate.

They have to tell you what a tape recorder is. (And "plastic" is surely acetate, not Mylar.) You edit with scissors.... Tall's razor cut soon replaced this bungle.

They probably could not have got these shots (mostly available light) inside Scranton without the higher-ASA films of the 1950s.

The FaceBook copy kept corrupting playback. There's a Mosaic Records page with link to YouTube video which plays better for me.

Latest posts

Back