Ribbon mic in BM800 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LessIsMore

Hi, I’m a newb here.  I’ve done some recording several years ago for a friends album – I tracked up some string (violin) parts, using a rode NT2A, and the overall sound ended up ‘thin’.  I knew little to nothing about mic placement or polar patterns etc. at the time – I did it in a bedroom, fairly close mic’d from 45 degrees above violin (8 ft ceiling) with the NT2A on cardioid pattern.  But it could have just been the supposedly toppy response of the standard capsule that made it sound thin– even though the manufacturers graph in the box is almost ruler flat.

Things have moved on, time-wise, but my mic collection hasn’t – I did buy, and still have a DPA4060 mic with a clever cheap bespoke mount (not my idea) to fit through the f-hole on the violin for good gain before feedback when playing live.  So, I have 2 quite different but reasonable mic’s - a multi pattern LDC, and an omni miniature condenser.  I don’t have any small diaphragm condensers.

My attention is turning to wanting to record our upright piano (once I’ve tuned it) – it has a lovely tone – I’ve got some songs I have to get down, and I’m wondering what the best way to do them is, but in general the stereo recording techniques have gripped my attention!  I may not have fundamentally grasped the best way to record / mix piano for normal stereo/mono reproduction and easiest listening, but I’m thinking I do need some sort of way of capturing acoustic instruments with a better ambiance or just simply a better sound characteristic, which means 2 mics that have similar or matched response / sound.  I could do mid/side with my NT2A and 4060, but the characteristic sound of the NT2A is what it is.

Which brings me onto the idea of making a couple of ribbon mics, and using the Chinese ultra-budget BM800 as a donor body.

I've bought some 50 x 6 x 3mm (I'm in UK) N50 neo's, but haven't determined whether a 2" magnet based motor will fit under the hood of a BM800. Could anyone hazard a guess on this or take a measure for me please?....before I commit to buy a couple of BM800's, ...or I could have to go with larger diameter copper or alu pipe, but I'd rather not. The project is budget conscious, perhaps except on the transformer, but if there is a cheaper option than lundahl, I would look at it…?

On the magnets, I've got a 10-pack, so is there any benefit to doubling up on them, I.e. putting 2x3mm thick magnets together on each side of the ribbon - does it increase field strength much?

After reading Artur’s website and watching the 7min14sec youtube video on making a ribbon motor (sorry don’t remember your name), I like the idea of ‘wasted’ magnet mounting surface to reduce HF (or is LF) phase shift roll-off effects with the reverse side of the ribbon.  Reminds me of baffle step frequency with speaker building.  Gonna try for a 4mm wide (2” long) ribbon.  I don’t especially want a dark sound – just smooth – but would like reasonable HF response as well.

Many thanks for your help. My goodness, the DIY Mic thing could be a worse addiction than speaker building!

Best,
LessIsMore

I'm working on a run of single FET M7 mic's using the BM800 bodies and found that Chungers headbaskets fit that body as well as the HT11a's...

Makes for a nice small'ish mic with a nice headbasket that is great for placement in tight spaces.

What measurements do you need?

Cheers!
-jb

Hi jb,
I just need a feel for if a ribbon motor based on 2" long magnets will fit in the standard basket. Cheers,

I've bought 2 of these:
http://www.gearbest.com/speakers/pp_193553.html
I thought the white was a bit less in your face than black and gold, especially if ever used as overheads.  But still Cool as ...
It seems obvious that there's far more than 2" of height in the head basket, if the body itself is 2" diameter.  Do you have a reference for the 'chungers headbasket'?  I couldn't find it.

Just need to decide on transformer (purchase) and motor design.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
LIM

If you are able to post pictures of your DIY ribbon motor in the stock head basket once it is done, I'd love to see it! This would make for one heck of an affordable ribbon mic option!

I'll certainly try and post pictures. I'm in guesswork mode at the moment, since the BM800 donors haven't arrived, though JB gave me a height of 2.5", so it should be doable. The 50x6x3 N50 magnets have arrived however - £4:50 for 10 from China, bargain!  I'm trying to work out the cost-performance point on transformers, like I've said - there is a UK supplier, xaudia, that appears to compete with lundahl at £55 each, but I'm looking for an opinion about their  performance.  55 quid plus other parts required is hitting right on a basic T Bone ribbon Mic price, so I need to feel there's some performance and cost benefit to this DIY venture.

Latest posts

Back