Getting Gcode

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Hi

I got a CNC router a pair of months ago, I milled a few pcbs and I'm happy with the results, just started to work in aluminum panels with satisfactory results (not engraved yet, but cut some holes nicely).

My main problem is to get the pcb design converted to Gcode, from Gerber files I use Flatcam or LineGrinde and they work fine, but when I have a PDF or bmp file it's quite time consuming. I use Inkscape to convert them to vectors and use Gcodetools Plugin, but it's seems Inkscape doesn't handle it properly, crashing frequently and working so slow, and when I get it, I still have to mark the drills manually in Inkscape, with that workflow try to make a correction or trial and error method is just impossible.

Any ideas on how to get Gcode from a B/W image? I tried some solutions but the only one that, barely, worked it's Inkscape and Gcodetools.

Also, any recommendations on CAM software? I use Gsimple on Windows, which works with simple designs, but doesn't handle Dxf files properly, which is a must for me. Main purpose is engraving text in front panels.

Any tip about machining issues is welcome.

I am using and would recommend Cambam - relatively cheap, easy to use, gcode so far seems to run fine on our machine.  Looks like it can handle bitmap heightmaps with a plugin, too.

Love it!  The only limitation I've bumped up against is that it's aimed at 2.5d work;  you can do simple 3d stuff by playing with transforms, but it's not easy.

I've been playing with the free version of Cambam and it's really nice, I milled some PCBs from PDF format with good results.

Thanks for the advices

Latest posts

Back