Drip Opto 6 stopped working

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furn1979

Hi all... I've been searching for a dedicated thread about the Drip Electronics Opto 6 but couldn't find any...

My unit had been working well for about a year but has suddenly stopped compressing. The reduction meter is stuck at +1.5 dB but audio still passes thru.

Any cue on where to look first?

Thanks!

Off topic: dripelectronics.com has a new and beautiful website, but it seems the drip forums are not accessible anymore... these forums were full of great info and I probably would've posted this on there first. Bummer if they're gone forever.

Honestly first I would be check the tubes, they can go bad and can stop passing signal. Also check for lose wiring at terminal blocks or signs of burnt damaged resistors / caps. Check voltages to see if all is working correct. Look at the schematic and study the problem.  If you can't figure it out email or txt Greg from Drip. He's very helpful

Do you have alternate T-4 opto units to replace the one(s) in the unit? Did you do the slow fast circuit? When you switch the meter reading from output to gain reduction what happens?

Pip said:
Do you have alternate T-4 opto units to replace the one(s) in the unit? Did you do the slow fast circuit? When you switch the meter reading from output to gain reduction what happens?

Meter works normally in Output mode.
Tried both T4s circuits. No GR on neither of them.

Trench Recordings said:
Honestly first I would be check the tubes, they can go bad and can stop passing signal. Also check for lose wiring at terminal blocks or signs of burnt damaged resistors / caps. Check voltages to see if all is working correct. Look at the schematic and study the problem.  If you can't figure it out email or txt Greg from Drip. He's very helpful

Will do and keep you posted. Thanks!

Finally had time to bring the unit back home on the bench. The unit worked perfectly, I can't recreate the problem I have at my studio.

I compared sector voltages and I think I may have found the culprit.

Voltage at home (no problem here): 119.3 V
Voltage at the studio: +/- 113 V (and moving). This is an old factory converted in studio spaces. My guess is that they didn't care about providing a good sector voltage when they build it.

Now, I cheaped out on my original Opto 6 build and went with diodes instead of a 6x4 rectifier tube on the PSU circuit... Would a tube circuit be more or less forgiving for bad sector voltage?

Back