Power supply issue with 51x 500 series rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukev

Last night noticed modules were not powering up in my GDIY 500 series rack kit that I bought from CAPI a few years ago.  I have the power supply that can power two of the 11 space racks.  Viewing the front panel of the power supply I noticed that the -16v LED is out for one of the two power outputs.  All the other LEDs were lit.  I verified that the other power jack powers up the rack just fine so the issue is limited to just the first power output.  I am fine at building kits but not the best at tracking down problems.  Any ideas where to start as far as tracking this problem down?  Is it ok to keep running the rack off the good power output until I fix the problem, or is there a chance it could cause further damage?  Thanks folks!

Thanks for the response.  I checked all the fuses with my multimeter and they are all passing power just fine so it's something else going on unfortunately. 

Hi lukev,

you should be more specific in your problem description. Please include information on at least:

- What power supply do you exactly own? Is there a separate support thread for it?
- How many racks are connected to your PSU when blowing the fuse?
- How many modules are housed in the racks?
- Is the fuse blown without any module in the rack at all?
- Did you check the fuse ratings?
- Did you check your wiring and continuity?
- What cable do you use for connecting your racks to the PSU?
- Is the fuse blown with another cable too?
- etc...

Without any further information it will be hard to help you.

Cheers,
Carsten

Do you have the schematic?

Follow the -16 voltage rail from the transformer secondaries to the Led
in a simple PSU I would measure AC voltages in the transformer secondaries
DC voltages after the Bridge rectifier
and DC voltages In and Out of the -16V regulator

you have one power supply that can power two racks. 

without looking at a schematic, sounds like you have doubles of each power rail, can easily compare the working one with the non working one.

Back