Can a TL074 or NE5532 degrade over time ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

Can a TL074 or NE5532 degrade over time ?
Seems a simple question no ?
I have a simple amplifier here with the above components and it slightly begins to distort . All caps are replaced by the way.
Opamps are soldered in , so before I start to mess with it ...

99,9% they work perfect or not at all.

Very rarely you see opamps with a damaged output stage transistor, that are still kinda working held into place by heavy feedback design, only distorting when you press them.

Although I've seen this once or twice only.

Jakob E.

Where in the audio path are the op amps located? It is more common to see op amps damaged in input or output circuits where they get exposed to static hits and the like.

Conservative design adds diode clamps and protection for these devices exposed to the outside world and abuse.  But stuff still breaks...

While working at Peavey I used to work with the service department to analyze field failures and op amps in the middle of circuitry rarely failed. Input and output sockets suffered more abuse. of course there was the occasional burned up hole where the op amp used to be, from a mains power hit.  ::)

JR

Latest posts

Back