Poor Paris

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot to call US an EU goals in Syria.

Ungifted,

It's good to hear from you.

What I wish would be that this stupid antagonism between Russia and the West would come to an end.  The so called Cold War has been going on for my entire lifetime.  I think that our leaders should all get together and set up one unified command structure to destroy ISIL/Daesh.  Whether Assad stays or goes is hardly important now, I don't want to see any more Russian holiday makers blown out of the sky, or Russian fighter/bombers hit, I think that the Turkish F16 should have flown alongside and just showed its missiles to make a point, not shot it down with that garbled message, it was just plain stupid.

DaveP

ungifted said:
You forgot to call US an EU goals in Syria.
Before or after Paris?

Assad is disliked by the west because he has been a destabilizing force, behind assassinations of moderate politicians in Lebanon, and using poison gas against his own people. However just cutting off the head and expecting a moderate country to emerge didn't work in Libya, and isn't likely for Syria.  Right now Syria is a puppet surrogate for Iran's larger intentions to influence the region.  Arguably fighting Assad is a surrogate war against Iran (and Russian) interests.  Since these can not be done openly they are done indirectly.

Caveat Lector  these are my speculations, not statements of knowable fact. 

JR

PS: I'll leave it to Euro zone posters to speculate on European motives, while for France it seems pretty apparent.

JohnRoberts said:
Right now Syria is a puppet surrogate for Iran's larger intentions to influence the region.  Arguably fighting Assad is a surrogate war against Iran (and Russian) interests.  Since these can not be done openly they are done indirectly.

Caveat Lector  these are my speculations, not statements of knowable fact. 

JR

PS: I'll leave it to Euro zone posters to speculate on European motives, while for France it seems pretty apparent.

Iraq, Egypt, Libya were stable more or less. Now we can see war and radical Islam.
It reminds Israel story - Balfour, UK mandate, new state, and voila, the palestinians say: "we were peasants but now we became fighters". Have you seen that guys, fighting against Assad? Good democracy and humanity waits Syria. I can understand those people flooded EU streets.
I'll quote the article some posts above:  “I didn’t like Saddam, but at least we didn’t have war. When you came here, the civil war started.”
Syria, and even Turkey, is not western countries, there will be no european democracy, no european civilisation. We have similar things in Caucasus with Kadyrov in Chechnya and everyday casualties in Dagestan. It's another story, a special thing.

So who are "They"? Who fights against Iran and Russia interests?
And again what is US goals in Syria?

ungifted said:
So who are "They"? Who fights against Iran and Russia interests?
Iran and Russia have different interests but share some common enemies and are allies in Syria.

The west has imposed sanctions against both Iran and Russia for different reasons. Putin never misses an opportunity to embarrass the US and the current administration is all to willing to provide those opportunities.
And again what is US goals in Syria?
According to Obama prevent global warming because apparently that causes terrorism.  :eek:

JR

According to Obama prevent global warming because apparently that causes terrorism.

It could be that Obama sees that the long term survival of humanity is more about curbing global warming than the destruction of IS/Daesh, in his last year he wants to concentrate/show leadership on climate change legislation?  One is a short term problem, the other is a century long battle against sliding to disaster..

We had one civil war in the middle east and Europe is swamped with refugees, think what might happen if the 1984 Ethiopia famine was on a world scale.  Maybe that's what he's getting at?

DaveP

I think guys you've answered your questions. :)
" this stupid antagonism between Russia and the West" is in constant desire to punish someone: Putin, Saddam, Gaddafi, Assad, Lukashenko, Milosevic etc etc
PS: Our Russian TV propaganda now shows Erdogan's family business made on ISIL's oil from Syria exported to EU. :)

Alas, it's not chess, it's a blood on Paris, Moscow and NYC streets. "Running Man" TV show, we all like to see.

ungifted said:
" this stupid antagonism between Russia and the West" is in constant desire to punish someone: Putin, Saddam, Gaddafi, Assad, Lukashenko, Milosevic etc etc
That is not exactly a list of innocent school boys. The west is unhappy with Putin's handling of Crimea and Unkraine, while I don't pretend that is simple or open and shut.
PS: Our Russian TV propaganda now shows Erdogan's family business made on ISIL's oil from Syria exported to EU. :)
Even if not literally true fraud and under the table deals seem to be the rule rather than exception in that region. Turkey could have easily sealed their border if they wanted to, but they profit handsomely from oil and other routine smuggling back and forth across that porous border. 
Alas, it's not chess, it's a blood on Paris, Moscow and NYC streets. "Running Man" TV show, we all like to see.
Opinions vary, I think the competing interests in the middle east are quite complex.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
mattiasNYC said:
Defeating the state is one thing, defeating the movement another, just like the Iraq war showed (as well as numerous others).
I reject the partisan characterization of Iraq as a failed war, in fact it was the peace afterwards that failed, because the US pulled out security forces prematurely (against the military's advice). 

JR

I don't disagree. If we wanted to "nitpick" then of course the war was successful, that's exactly what I meant. But the broader context is that when wars are fought the participants "own" the repercussions. Bush's administration is to blame for going to war using the wrong premise to get the US people on board. People can be goaded into supporting violence for defensive purposes, but occupation and nation building while spending trillions is a completely different issue. That's what should have been on the table from the get-go. Obama can only be blamed so much for this. He didn't get the US into this, and I think Americans were just tired of war and paying for it all.

JohnRoberts said:
ungifted said:
That is not exactly a list of innocent school boys. The west is unhappy with Putin's handling of Crimea and Unkraine, while I don't pretend that is simple or open and shut.

Shcool boys are in Washington and in Ankara. I see. :)
BTW, have you ever been to Crimea? Do you know what language they speak, how many russians live there?
Russia must be happy with Yugoslavia, Iraq, Libya, Sirya, Afganistan, Ukrain, military alliance at the border. How do you think?

Let's better talk about global warming. As I've understood it's the only goal of the US administration in the middle east.  ;)

And God forgives America...

mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:
mattiasNYC said:
Defeating the state is one thing, defeating the movement another, just like the Iraq war showed (as well as numerous others).
I reject the partisan characterization of Iraq as a failed war, in fact it was the peace afterwards that failed, because the US pulled out security forces prematurely (against the military's advice). 

JR

I don't disagree. If we wanted to "nitpick" then of course the war was successful, that's exactly what I meant. But the broader context is that when wars are fought the participants "own" the repercussions.
General Powell's Pottery Barn rule... (you break it you bought it).
Bush's administration is to blame for going to war using the wrong premise to get the US people on board.
That old saw is tired... (most intelligence agencies believed that Saddam had weapons), he sure wanted everybody to believe he did, and there are credible arguments that he moved some to Syria, when things heated up.  I watched Powell address the UN and he presented a laundry list of reasons why Saddam needed to go. The WMD tick on that list was what resonated with the public and took on a life of it's own in the media.

Do we think Assad has WMD? Oh yeah they were all destroyed (cough), but now reportedly ISIL has used mustard gas (in Allepo). I wonder if those were Saddam's, Assad's, or they mixed up a fresh batch of their own mustard ? Apparently mustard gas is popular in that region.

I am willing to concede that the Iraq invasion was not the best use of American blood and treasure, or well managed (especially during the early years). I was ready to call an audible and postpone when Turkey refused to let us bring our armor in from the North.  The clock was running out (summer temps approaching) and forces were already positioned over there. I would have preferred parking them in Afghanistan until the following spring, there were apparently still some bad guys there (Taliban) but Bush was not very concerned about them. It's interesting how the Taliban got upgraded to a western threat while they are mostly a threat to young local girls who want to attend school.
People can be goaded into supporting violence for defensive purposes, but occupation and nation building while spending trillions is a completely different issue. That's what should have been on the table from the get-go. Obama can only be blamed so much for this. He didn't get the US into this, and I think Americans were just tired of war and paying for it all.
He blew the pull-out... IMO he owns that turning a victory in Iraq into a failure.

He also owns the ill fated surge in Afghanistan. He saw the US success with the surge in Iraq and ASSumed it could be replicated in Afghanistan (different country, different tribes, different security problem). Then to make a bad idea even worse he allocated less troops than his generals told him they needed. So a bad idea ineffectively prosecuted.

Now he owns Afghanistan (IMO) and his only flash of common (?) sense is to alter the draw down schedule to slow down the reduction of US security forces there from his original schedule.

It is generally a bad idea to telegraph to a viable enemy that you plan to withdraw forces by such and such a date. You can't declare that a war is over unilaterally just by saying it is over. The enemy may not agree and they get a say too. 

Once again I am repeating myself, I know i have said all this here before. Just not recently. IIRC I even applauded Obama's decision to slow down the pull out from Afghanistan. I didn't applaud the Afghanistan surge build up tho. Drawing down too quickly there will make the Iraq pull out look good by comparison.

JR

PS Afghanistan government is already talking with Russia about military support. That sucking sound in the middle east is the US pulling out like a road runner cartoon.

JohnRoberts said:
That old saw is tired... (most intelligence agencies believed that Saddam had weapons), he sure wanted everybody to believe he did,

That's not true. You had at "worst" the sentiment that inspections weren't going as smooth as they should have, but nothing was found. Nada. You had both Scott Ritter and the Swede, whatever his name is, tell people, ahead of the war, that there was absolutely no evidence Saddam's regime had WMDs constituting an imminent threat.  The "most intelligence agencies" meme is a bit of a rewriting of history.

JohnRoberts said:
and there are credible arguments that he moved some to Syria, when things heated up.

An "argument" is not evidence. I haven't seen a single piece of conclusive or even suggestive evidence that he shipped them off there.

JohnRoberts said:
  I watched Powell address the UN and he presented a laundry list of reasons why Saddam needed to go. The WMD tick on that list was what resonated with the public and took on a life of it's own in the media.

First of all, it was spectacular that the Bush administration and Powell had the balls to stand in front of the rest of the world and use, as supposed evidence, a refined drawing based on a sketch based on a translated interview by a foreign intelligence service from a questionable source. A bit different from the photos of the Cuban missile-crisis era. I mean, it was just ludicrous. On top of that a forged memo. I mean, there was nothing in terms of evidence. There may have been different arguments, but WMDs posing an imminent threat wasn't one of them.

As for WMD taking on a life on its own in the media; I think that's ignoring just why that happened. Frank Luntz, hired by Republicans, simply told them to phrase language so that Saddam and Iraq would be connected - emotionally - with 9/11 and Al Qaeda. It worked wonders. His own words on it are quite astounding.  Even Cheney admitted that the WMD argument was chosen to be pushed to the population because it was the one the most likely to resonate. All fear-mongering to get an emotional response and support for the war. This wasn't something that the media ran with by itself, this was carefully thought out.

JohnRoberts said:
Do we think Assad has WMD? Oh yeah they were all destroyed (cough), but now reportedly ISIL has used mustard gas (in Allepo). I wonder if those were Saddam's, Assad's, or they mixed up a fresh batch of their own mustard ? Apparently mustard gas is popular in that region.

The US should know, Reagan took Saddam's Iraq off of the don't-sell-arms-to-these-thugs list so that the precursors could be sold to him. They were American. I suppose the US could check its records to see where stuff came from.

JohnRoberts said:
People can be goaded into supporting violence for defensive purposes, but occupation and nation building while spending trillions is a completely different issue. That's what should have been on the table from the get-go. Obama can only be blamed so much for this. He didn't get the US into this, and I think Americans were just tired of war and paying for it all.
He blew the pull-out... IMO he owns that turning a victory in Iraq into a failure.[/quote]

Well, it's awfully convenient to seemingly ignore that hadn't the US attacked in the first place we wouldn't be talking about who's to blame in the first place.  Do you want to live in a pretend-democracy or not? Either the people get to choose someone who carries out their will or you have a leader spending even more money and lives against it. It was Bush's fault for not preparing the population for it and for getting the US in there in the first place. Blaming Obama for pulling out is relatively lame I think.

JohnRoberts said:
That sucking sound in the middle east is the US pulling out like a road runner cartoon.

And what's the solution here? What have we learned from the past? We can look at specific nations, like Afghanistan or Iran, and we can see that trying to change governments or invade and occupy simply doesn't work. The Soviets tried it... the CIA tried it.... the US tried it in Iraq... Vietnam... Afghanistan.... when does it work? What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different outcome?

JohnRoberts said:
According to Obama prevent global warming because apparently that causes terrorism.  :eek:
Well, maybe not terrorism - that is more as a result of various countries' foreign policy I think, dating back decades or more - but global warming has been linked to the Civil War in Syria due to drought and failed harvests sending 1.5 million farmers and their families from the countryside into the cities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/science/earth/study-links-syria-conflict-to-drought-caused-by-climate-change.html?_r=1

There are arguments for and against this conclusion of course. All you can do is look at the evidence and make your own decision.

mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:
That old saw is tired... (most intelligence agencies believed that Saddam had weapons), he sure wanted everybody to believe he did,

That's not true. You had at "worst" the sentiment that inspections weren't going as smooth as they should have, but nothing was found. Nada. You had both Scott Ritter and the Swede, whatever his name is, tell people, ahead of the war, that there was absolutely no evidence Saddam's regime had WMDs constituting an imminent threat.  The "most intelligence agencies" meme is a bit of a rewriting of history.
My recollection is that there was more than US intelligence (Brit I think.) I'll back off my "most" characterization and say "some".

There is little question he planned to restart his program the minute he could, and he had already demonstrated his willingness to use them, on even his own citizens (kurds).
JohnRoberts said:
and there are credible arguments that he moved some to Syria, when things heated up.

An "argument" is not evidence. I haven't seen a single piece of conclusive or even suggestive evidence that he shipped them off there.
That's why I said arguments....If there was hard evidence I would have said evidence.
JohnRoberts said:
  I watched Powell address the UN and he presented a laundry list of reasons why Saddam needed to go. The WMD tick on that list was what resonated with the public and took on a life of it's own in the media.

First of all, it was spectacular that the Bush administration and Powell had the balls to stand in front of the rest of the world and use, as supposed evidence, a refined drawing based on a sketch based on a translated interview by a foreign intelligence service from a questionable source. A bit different from the photos of the Cuban missile-crisis era. I mean, it was just ludicrous. On top of that a forged memo. I mean, there was nothing in terms of evidence. There may have been different arguments, but WMDs posing an imminent threat wasn't one of them.
In hindsight we know after the fact that they got some bad intel on that.
As for WMD taking on a life on its own in the media; I think that's ignoring just why that happened. Frank Luntz, hired by Republicans, simply told them to phrase language so that Saddam and Iraq would be connected - emotionally - with 9/11 and Al Qaeda. It worked wonders. His own words on it are quite astounding.  Even Cheney admitted that the WMD argument was chosen to be pushed to the population because it was the one the most likely to resonate. All fear-mongering to get an emotional response and support for the war. This wasn't something that the media ran with by itself, this was carefully thought out.
Clipped from Powell's UN address

powell said:
I asked for this session today for two purposes: First, to support the core assessments made by Dr. Blix and Dr. ElBaradei. As Dr. Blix reported to this council on January 27th, "Iraq appears not to have come to a genuine acceptance, not even today, of the disarmament which was demanded of it."

And as Dr. ElBaradei reported, Iraq's declaration of December 7, "did not provide any new information relevant to certain questions that have been outstanding since 1998."

My second purpose today is to provide you with additional information, to share with you what the United States knows about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction as well as Iraq's involvement in terrorism, which is also the subject of Resolution 1441 and other earlier resolutions.

OK they were leading with the WMD but Saddam was not completely innocent and routinely cheated on UN mandates.  He sheltered some Al Qaeda fighters (not many)  and promoted terrorism in the region. In Palestine he rewarded the families of suicide bombers with $25,000 checks, $10,000 for families of any killed in confrontation with Israel, $5,000 for those with houses destroyed by Israel. In two years he gave Palestinian families $10M dollars in this ugly quid pro quo. If that isn't promoting terrorism I don't know what is.

JohnRoberts said:

The US should know, Reagan took Saddam's Iraq off of the don't-sell-arms-to-these-thugs list so that the precursors could be sold to him. They were American. I suppose the US could check its records to see where stuff came from.
Indeed alliances in the region can and have changed multiple times. Routinely these are "lesser evil" choices between one dictator or the other. The only other choice is to have no influence in the region at all.
JohnRoberts said:
He blew the pull-out... IMO he owns that turning a victory in Iraq into a failure.
Well, it's awfully convenient to seemingly ignore that hadn't the US attacked in the first place we wouldn't be talking about who's to blame in the first place.  Do you want to live in a pretend-democracy or not? Either the people get to choose someone who carries out their will or you have a leader spending even more money and lives against it. It was Bush's fault for not preparing the population for it and for getting the US in there in the first place. Blaming Obama for pulling out is relatively lame I think.
And I think it's lame to blame Bush for mismanaging the peace.  Against the advice of his military advisors Obama did not fight harder to renegotiate the 2008 status of forces agreement.  Candidate Bush is now claiming that there was an agreement for 10,000 troops that Obama refused to sign, that is political spin (false), but Obama did not live up to his promise to end the Iraq war responsibly IMO . We still have 25-30k military in So Korea.
JohnRoberts said:
That sucking sound in the middle east is the US pulling out like a road runner cartoon.

And what's the solution here? What have we learned from the past? We can look at specific nations, like Afghanistan or Iran, and we can see that trying to change governments or invade and occupy simply doesn't work. The Soviets tried it... the CIA tried it.... the US tried it in Iraq... Vietnam... Afghanistan.... when does it work? What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different outcome?
I have been consistently critical of the surge in Afghanistan. In my judgement today they still do not have an adequate private sector economy to support a strong central government. To prevent the collapse of Kabul will require long term financial support from the outside.

I feel sorry for the people of Afghanistan who for several generation have only known life as an occupied country.  They expect us to eventually pull out too, so they are already cutting deals with the Taliban who expects to return to power. Russia is taking the opportunity to provide military aid and get their camel's nose into that tent.

To answer your question, I don't know... I have watched the mission in Afghanistan morph from denying Al Qaeda safe haven  (which Bush accomplished in a matter of weeks) to  trying to nation build a strong central representative government,  essentially wresting power from war lords and the Taliban. Previously the Taliban's largest crime was taking money from al Qaeda to tolerate their training camps and safe harbor there.

Even a causal inspection of Taliban culture is abhorrent to western thinkers, so without ever declaring so, we appear to be waging war against that culture, and a resurgence of war lords.

I have a hard time being optimistic about standing up an effective military/police force in Afghanistan, while today is far better than it ever was, and more time should make it even better. If we pull out now, chaos will ensue  and any gains made from the blood and treasure there will be lost.

A cold calculated decision would be to pull out yesterday (recall I opposed the surge), but from where we are now, a slow gradual draw down is the most humane. Ripping off the bandage now could cause the patient to bleed to death.

Sorry for the non-answer answer....

JR

PS: I rather dislike rehashing old arguments and doubt we will ever agree about everyone's motives.

JohnRoberts said:
My recollection is that there was more than US intelligence (Brit I think.) I'll back off my "most" characterization and say "some".

I think the thing to remember here is that there were people in the Bush administration that wanted Saddam gone, using violent means, long before 9/11. Perle, Wolfowitz, Abrams, Rumsfeld, Bolton... all members of the same think-tank that crafted a letter to Clinton urging him to get rid of Saddam. With so many of them publicly voicing that view it was just a matter of time after 9/11 before Iraq would be attacked. And it was pretty clear that no further evidence was needed for them to push for an invasion.

JohnRoberts said:

powell said:
I asked for this session today for two purposes: First, to support the core assessments made by Dr. Blix and Dr. ElBaradei. As Dr. Blix reported to this council on January 27th, "Iraq appears not to have come to a genuine acceptance, not even today, of the disarmament which was demanded of it."

And as Dr. ElBaradei reported, Iraq's declaration of December 7, "did not provide any new information relevant to certain questions that have been outstanding since 1998."

My second purpose today is to provide you with additional information, to share with you what the United States knows about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction as well as Iraq's involvement in terrorism, which is also the subject of Resolution 1441 and other earlier resolutions.

OK they were leading with the WMD

But the above is just classic use of rhetoric. You go on stage, claim there's a WMD threat, then take the inspectors words out of context, and because of shere proximity to you mentioning WMDs the listener connects the two. That is straight out of the school of Frank Luntz. The individual sentences are correct, the inevitable 'emotional' conclusion is false, but “just”. If you read Powell's quotes again and think about that clearly you'll see that there is actually nothing in those quotes that refer to WMDs constituting an imminent threat, right? It all just conforms to what I've been saying; Iraq wasn't entirely cooperative, but none of the inspectors found any evidence of the supposed WMDs still in possession. They stated that quite clearly on numerous occasions before the war. They also stated the Niger uranium claim was based on forged documents. On top of that they stated that no evidence was found of WMD trucks (the drawings) or that WMDs had been moved around on trucks.

All before the invasion. All part of the official record.

JohnRoberts said:
but Saddam was not completely innocent and routinely cheated on UN mandates.  He sheltered some Al Qaeda fighters (not many)  and promoted terrorism in the region. In Palestine he rewarded the families of suicide bombers with $25,000 checks, $10,000 for families of any killed in confrontation with Israel, $5,000 for those with houses destroyed by Israel. In two years he gave Palestinian families $10M dollars in this ugly quid pro quo. If that isn't promoting terrorism I don't know what is.

But promoting terrorism and crime surely doesn't warrant invasion, overthrow and occupation, does it? We're just back to the faulty western-centric-logic that “We are just and what we do is justified by our righteousness, but what 'they' do defines their lack of righteousness”. That's really all it amounts to. If you want to argue that a nation/leader is bad because of the actions taken then we need to tally all of that up and see what's what. Nobody in the US wants that. That's because the US supported terrorism in the region as well. It's just that when you do it it's “the lesser of two evils”, and when they do it it's “just evil”. There is absoulutely nothing intellectually or morally consistent in that stance.

So what if Saddam paid families of suicide bombers? Yeah, it's supporting the relatives of terrorists, but then on the other hand the US has supported the colonialism of Israel to the tune of Billions of dollars for decades. You want to tell me that terrorism has a bigger negative impact that colonialism and subjugation of an entire people? And if you agree with me then we're stuck with the US supporting a worse act – yet somehow does not deserve punishment for it.

And as for “sheltering” Al Qaeda; I don't think that's what happened. “Sheltering” to me implies more what the Taliban did. To my knowledge there were Al Qaeda members in Iraq at some point, but so what? They passed through a great deal of countries. Heck, even the US harbors terrorists despite foreing nations wanting them handed over.

JohnRoberts said:
Indeed alliances in the region can and have changed multiple times. Routinely these are "lesser evil" choices between one dictator or the other. The only other choice is to have no influence in the region at all.

Perhaps that lack of meddling would have spared us 9/11.

JohnRoberts said:
And I think it's lame to blame Bush for mismanaging the peace.

I think there's a bit more nuance to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is more akin to Bush mismanaging the potential ability of managing the peace. By not getting the US population on board with the cost he laid the groundwork for what Obama did, on that level and that of invading in the first place. Bush should have ignored the hawks in his administration and either left Iraq alone or gone about it completely differently. The world was, by and large, in shock over 9/11 and supportive of the US at the time. And while I don't think invading Afghanistan was the best option of the time there was international support for it. I think a lot of that was squandered with the Iraq invasion.

This doesn't absolve Obama of wrongdoing of course. As a matter of fact there is a great deal of things he's done internationally I greatly disagree with. And him getting a peace price is about as reasonable as Arafat and Sharon getting it.... which is to say “not very”.

JohnRoberts said:
A cold calculated decision would be to pull out yesterday (recall I opposed the surge), but from where we are now, a slow gradual draw down is the most humane. Ripping off the bandage now could cause the patient to bleed to death.

In my caffeine-depleted mind that sounds a bit like the slow pull-out of Iraq by Obama. I'm inclined to think that barring a very wide international coalition based on a very reasonable argumentation and with supporting evidence the US should really become far more isolationist and focus more on its own mainland and everything that entails... rather than fight wars abroad. It's a US-resident-centric view, but I think it makes sense.

mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:

I think the thing to remember here is that there were people in the Bush administration that wanted Saddam gone, using violent means, long before 9/11. Perle, Wolfowitz, Abrams, Rumsfeld, Bolton... all members of the same think-tank that crafted a letter to Clinton urging him to get rid of Saddam. With so many of them publicly voicing that view it was just a matter of time after 9/11 before Iraq would be attacked. And it was pretty clear that no further evidence was needed for them to push for an invasion.
I remain uninterested in debating unknowable motives.
JohnRoberts said:

powell said:

OK they were leading with the WMD

But the above is just classic use of rhetoric. You go on stage, claim there's a WMD threat, then take the inspectors words out of context, and because of shere proximity to you mentioning WMDs the listener connects the two. That is straight out of the school of Frank Luntz. The individual sentences are correct, the inevitable 'emotional' conclusion is false, but “just”. If you read Powell's quotes again and think about that clearly you'll see that there is actually nothing in those quotes that refer to WMDs constituting an imminent threat, right? It all just conforms to what I've been saying; Iraq wasn't entirely cooperative, but none of the inspectors found any evidence of the supposed WMDs still in possession. They stated that quite clearly on numerous occasions before the war. They also stated the Niger uranium claim was based on forged documents. On top of that they stated that no evidence was found of WMD trucks (the drawings) or that WMDs had been moved around on trucks.

All before the invasion. All part of the official record.

JohnRoberts said:
but Saddam was not completely innocent and routinely cheated on UN mandates.  He sheltered some Al Qaeda fighters (not many)  and promoted terrorism in the region. In Palestine he rewarded the families of suicide bombers with $25,000 checks, $10,000 for families of any killed in confrontation with Israel, $5,000 for those with houses destroyed by Israel. In two years he gave Palestinian families $10M dollars in this ugly quid pro quo. If that isn't promoting terrorism I don't know what is.

But promoting terrorism and crime surely doesn't warrant invasion, overthrow and occupation, does it? We're just back to the faulty western-centric-logic that “We are just and what we do is justified by our righteousness, but what 'they' do defines their lack of righteousness”. That's really all it amounts to. If you want to argue that a nation/leader is bad because of the actions taken then we need to tally all of that up and see what's what. Nobody in the US wants that. That's because the US supported terrorism in the region as well. It's just that when you do it it's “the lesser of two evils”, and when they do it it's “just evil”. There is absoulutely nothing intellectually or morally consistent in that stance.

So what if Saddam paid families of suicide bombers? Yeah, it's supporting the relatives of terrorists, but then on the other hand the US has supported the colonialism of Israel to the tune of Billions of dollars for decades. You want to tell me that terrorism has a bigger negative impact that colonialism and subjugation of an entire people? And if you agree with me then we're stuck with the US supporting a worse act – yet somehow does not deserve punishment for it.

And as for “sheltering” Al Qaeda; I don't think that's what happened. “Sheltering” to me implies more what the Taliban did. To my knowledge there were Al Qaeda members in Iraq at some point, but so what? They passed through a great deal of countries. Heck, even the US harbors terrorists despite foreing nations wanting them handed over.
We shelter some in Git mo
JohnRoberts said:

OK where's your evidence for that? Appeasement is never a good policy...if anything it makes bad guys bolder. It just means you get killed last...
JohnRoberts said:
And I think it's lame to blame Bush for mismanaging the peace.

I think there's a bit more nuance to what I'm saying. What I'm saying is more akin to Bush mismanaging the potential ability of managing the peace. By not getting the US population on board with the cost he laid the groundwork for what Obama did, on that level and that of invading in the first place. Bush should have ignored the hawks in his administration and either left Iraq alone or gone about it completely differently. The world was, by and large, in shock over 9/11 and supportive of the US at the time. And while I don't think invading Afghanistan was the best option of the time there was international support for it. I think a lot of that was squandered with the Iraq invasion.
I'm tempted to quote Hillary (at this point yadda yadda). Arguing hypotheticals is good if we have nothing to do, but there are real here now events to parse.
This doesn't absolve Obama of wrongdoing of course. As a matter of fact there is a great deal of things he's done internationally I greatly disagree with. And him getting a peace price is about as reasonable as Arafat and Sharon getting it.... which is to say “not very”.

JohnRoberts said:

In my caffeine-depleted mind that sounds a bit like the slow pull-out of Iraq by Obama. I'm inclined to think that barring a very wide international coalition based on a very reasonable argumentation and with supporting evidence the US should really become far more isolationist and focus more on its own mainland and everything that entails... rather than fight wars abroad. It's a US-resident-centric view, but I think it makes sense.
Obama's slow pull out of Iraq was something like 200 marines.Of course since then reality has forced  him to beef up the number of boots of the ground (estimates around 3500) while simultaneously declaring that everything is rosy. For the record, the new troops there are not protected by a status of forces agreement, which may make them a little gun shy, but they are not in "combat", despite being shot at and killed.  ::)

========

I think the tension between Russia and Turkey is the most interesting at the moment. Russia has moved anti-arcraft batteries to Syria, so any one of the several countries flying sorties in the region could be at risk. 

Interesting times... No wonder ISIL is building tunnels and operating under ground. 

Don't drone me bro...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:

What "unknowable motives"? Did you read their statement?

JohnRoberts said:

Yeah, the ones caught AFTER the US invasion, not before. You can't seriously argue that the evidence for Saddam “sheltering” Al Qaeda operatives in Iraq before the invasion, is the accused – but not convicted – Al Qaeda operatives after a US invasion, which everybody knows attracted terrorists from the entire region...

JohnRoberts said:
OK where's your evidence for that? Appeasement is never a good policy...if anything it makes bad guys bolder. It just means you get killed last...

The correlation between nations meddling in the Mid-East and them getting crapped on versus those who don't, and don't get crapped on, is a pretty interesting correlation. “Appeasement” is a term that to me is mainly used when someone wants a violent solution towards an enemy and wants to characterize someone who doesn't negatively. It says absolutely nothing about whether or not it's the right thing to do, either morally or practically. You know as well as I that a lot of the prior meddling was just to further the US interests that equaled making money. That's hardly altruistic or defensive or anything. It's just greed. Hardly “appeasement” to give that up.

JohnRoberts said:
I think the tension between Russia and Turkey is the most interesting at the moment. Russia has moved anti-arcraft batteries to Syria, so any one of the several countries flying sorties in the region could be at risk. 

Interesting times... No wonder ISIL is building tunnels and operating under ground. 

Don't drone me bro...

JR

Yes, I agree that in terms of watching the world turn it's certainly a very very interesting development.

mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:
mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:

What "unknowable motives"? Did you read their statement?
Years ago I bought and read a book (the neocon reader) with essays from several on your list, trying to understand that so called neocon movement .  I was not convinced of anything new, IIRC I didn't finish reading the book while my bookmark is more than 90% through it. I don't recall any discussion of invasion being pre-ordained and no, I don't fell like reading it again to look for that.

Of your short list, I only have opinions about two. I though John Bolton did a decent job as ambassador to the UN, before he got gonged by a liberal congress (he was a recess appointment by GB). Rumsfeld OTOH was a good businessman but IMO not a great Secretary of Defense (a different skill set). I blame him for a lot of the early mismanagement of Iraq fighting.  I recognize some of those other names but have no opinion about them one way or the other. 

From google I find a Wolfowitz doctrine, that appears to argue for US world dominance as being better than China or Russia being the dominant world power.  Can't say that I disagree with that, but we are about to see how the future turns out with the US withdrawing from world leadership.
JohnRoberts said:

Yeah, the ones caught AFTER the US invasion, not before. You can't seriously argue that the evidence for Saddam “sheltering” Al Qaeda operatives in Iraq before the invasion, is the accused – but not convicted – Al Qaeda operatives after a US invasion, which everybody knows attracted terrorists from the entire region...
I guess everybody doesn't know that (like me).  Keeping these combatants in Cuba is not my idea of an ideal solution. It is a little too slick in the attempt to finesse constitutional protections, while combatants in active fighting only deserve Geneva protections, not the full US constitution.  That said the Geneva conventions do not anticipate stateless fighters. The other world powers would have killed these pukes by now.  Maybe we can release them into Cuba, like when they emptied their prisons on us with the Mariel boat lift (not a serious suggestion).
JohnRoberts said:

The correlation between nations meddling in the Mid-East and them getting crapped on versus those who don't, and don't get crapped on, is a pretty interesting correlation. “Appeasement” is a term that to me is mainly used when someone wants a violent solution towards an enemy and wants to characterize someone who doesn't negatively. It says absolutely nothing about whether or not it's the right thing to do, either morally or practically. You know as well as I that a lot of the prior meddling was just to further the US interests that equaled making money. That's hardly altruistic or defensive or anything. It's just greed. Hardly “appeasement” to give that up.
I reject that there is direct cause and effect between our engagement and the hatred for western culture.  Of course even a school kid can see that the arbitrary national borders in the region is a source of tension and conflict.  Too bad we can't have a do-over and redraw the maps.

Do you suggest we set up diplomatic relations with ISIL? They seem interested in world domination, and killing whoever is in the way of that goal. These seem to be well known publicly stated intentions, not my speculation about their motives. 
JohnRoberts said:

Don't drone me bro...

JR

Yes, I agree that in terms of watching the world turn it's certainly a very very interesting development.
I do not pretend that we have simple options, but I do not like the direction this is headed. We'll see. I would love to wrong about this too.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Years ago I bought and read a book (the neocon reader) with essays from several on your list, trying to understand that so called neocon movement .  I was not convinced of anything new, IIRC I didn't finish reading the book while my bookmark is more than 90% through it. I don't recall any discussion of invasion being pre-ordained and no, I don't fell like reading it again to look for that.

Of your short list, I only have opinions about two. I though John Bolton did a decent job as ambassador to the UN, before he got gonged by a liberal congress (he was a recess appointment by GB). Rumsfeld OTOH was a good businessman but IMO not a great Secretary of Defense (a different skill set). I blame him for a lot of the early mismanagement of Iraq fighting.  I recognize some of those other names but have no opinion about them one way or the other. 

From google I find a Wolfowitz doctrine, that appears to argue for US world dominance as being better than China or Russia being the dominant world power.  Can't say that I disagree with that, but we are about to see how the future turns out with the US withdrawing from world leadership.

They signed a document together with other neocons. That and the think-tank the document represents is what I'm talking about. Since you're a clearly smart guy and interested in this sort of stuff I'll post the letter to Clinton here. I normally wouldn't, because it's relatively long, but I think you might find it interesting (and the official website for the think-tank ceased in the late 00's I think).

January 26, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President of the United States
Washington, DC 

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor.

The policy of “containment” of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam’s secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons.

Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world’s supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat.

Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate. The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.

We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council.

We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitage William J. Bennett

Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky

Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad

William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W. Rodman

Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber

Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey Robert B. Zoellick

Archived from: http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraqclintonletter.htm

That's eight people that ended up in W's administration, several of whom at very important positions. The remainder are relatively 'important' in business and/or the movement in question. With that clarity in the document, and with all those people ending up in government, there was virtually no doubt that the Iraq war was going to happen regardless of what the facts were. And speaking of what the facts were, here it is from the horse's mouth in 2001, before 9/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1X-I-38lrU

Clearly those two important people were at a different faction within the government.

JohnRoberts said:
I reject that there is direct cause and effect between our engagement and the hatred for western culture.

I think the hatred for western culture is dwarfed by the hatred of US foreign policy. I think that's the case more often than not actually.

JohnRoberts said:
Do you suggest we set up diplomatic relations with ISIL? They seem interested in world domination, and killing whoever is in the way of that goal. These seem to be well known publicly stated intentions, not my speculation about their motives. 

I think there are two 'wars' that need to be fought, one against violent enemies that are pretty much as you describe, and another against the war against reason, morality and intellectual discourse, for lack of better phrasing. No, I don't think we should have diplomatic relations with that 'nation'. We're ultimately faced with some serious issues: Do we allow democracy only when it suits us, or do we allow it in general? Do we allow people who strive for self-determination to create their own nations with new borders, or do we only allow that for our friends? Do we try to act out of altruism to save people who need and request salvation, and if so do we always do that or only sometimes?

People watch what happens. They notice hypocrisy. It's not that it's necessarily “western culture”, as much as it is a part of western political culture. Colonialism and greed still runs deep in western politicians' veins.

mattiasNYC said:
They signed a document together with other neocons. That and the think-tank the document represents is what I'm talking about. Since you're a clearly smart guy and interested in this sort of stuff
Not as much as you think... I am less interested in assigning historical blame, and more interested in future solutions, I will occasionally go back several years when the event is still playing out.
I'll post the letter to Clinton here. I normally wouldn't, because it's relatively long, but I think you might find it interesting (and the official website for the think-tank ceased in the late 00's I think).

January 26, 1998

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President of the United States
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing you because we are convinced that current American policy toward Iraq is not succeeding, and that we may soon face a threat in the Middle East more serious than any we have known since the end of the Cold War. In your upcoming State of the Union Address, you have an opportunity to chart a clear and determined course for meeting this threat. We urge you to seize that opportunity, and to enunciate a new strategy that would secure the interests of the U.S. and our friends and allies around the world. That strategy should aim, above all, at the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime from power. We stand ready to offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor.

The policy of “containment” of Saddam Hussein has been steadily eroding over the past several months. As recent events have demonstrated, we can no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War coalition to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections. Our ability to ensure that Saddam Hussein is not producing weapons of mass destruction, therefore, has substantially diminished. Even if full inspections were eventually to resume, which now seems highly unlikely, experience has shown that it is difficult if not impossible to monitor Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons production. The lengthy period during which the inspectors will have been unable to enter many Iraqi facilities has made it even less likely that they will be able to uncover all of Saddam’s secrets. As a result, in the not-too-distant future we will be unable to determine with any reasonable level of confidence whether Iraq does or does not possess such weapons.

Such uncertainty will, by itself, have a seriously destabilizing effect on the entire Middle East. It hardly needs to be added that if Saddam does acquire the capability to deliver weapons of mass destruction, as he is almost certain to do if we continue along the present course, the safety of American troops in the region, of our friends and allies like Israel and the moderate Arab states, and a significant portion of the world’s supply of oil will all be put at hazard. As you have rightly declared, Mr. President, the security of the world in the first part of the 21st century will be determined largely by how we handle this threat.

Given the magnitude of the threat, the current policy, which depends for its success upon the steadfastness of our coalition partners and upon the cooperation of Saddam Hussein, is dangerously inadequate. The only acceptable strategy is one that eliminates the possibility that Iraq will be able to use or threaten to use weapons of mass destruction. In the near term, this means a willingness to undertake military action as diplomacy is clearly failing. In the long term, it means removing Saddam Hussein and his regime from power. That now needs to become the aim of American foreign policy.

We urge you to articulate this aim, and to turn your Administration's attention to implementing a strategy for removing Saddam's regime from power. This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts. Although we are fully aware of the dangers and difficulties in implementing this policy, we believe the dangers of failing to do so are far greater. We believe the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf. In any case, American policy cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council.

We urge you to act decisively. If you act now to end the threat of weapons of mass destruction against the U.S. or its allies, you will be acting in the most fundamental national security interests of the country. If we accept a course of weakness and drift, we put our interests and our future at risk.

Sincerely,

Elliott Abrams Richard L. Armitage William J. Bennett

Jeffrey Bergner John Bolton Paula Dobriansky

Francis Fukuyama Robert Kagan Zalmay Khalilzad

William Kristol Richard Perle Peter W. Rodman

Donald Rumsfeld William Schneider, Jr. Vin Weber

Paul Wolfowitz R. James Woolsey Robert B. Zoellick

Archived from: http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraqclintonletter.htm

That's eight people that ended up in W's administration, several of whom at very important positions. The remainder are relatively 'important' in business and/or the movement in question. With that clarity in the document, and with all those people ending up in government, there was virtually no doubt that the Iraq war was going to happen regardless of what the facts were.
Not inevitable if that information was public before GB was elected.
And speaking of what the facts were, here it is from the horse's mouth in 2001, before 9/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1X-I-38lrU

Clearly those two important people were at a different faction within the government.

JohnRoberts said:
I reject that there is direct cause and effect between our engagement and the hatred for western culture.

I think the hatred for western culture is dwarfed by the hatred of US foreign policy. I think that's the case more often than not actually.
Opinion.. it is hard to parse out what is the dominant motivation for "death to America".  while America seems to be identified. I somehow doubt they mean death to Canada or Mexico, but I am not smart enough to know what they think.   
JohnRoberts said:

I think there are two 'wars' that need to be fought, one against violent enemies that are pretty much as you describe,
This seems pretty obvious but POTUS does not seem on board with the program.
and another against the war against reason, morality and intellectual discourse, for lack of better phrasing.
?por que?  are you talking about the college students protesting the first amendment (irony)? Or my arguments?
No, I don't think we should have diplomatic relations with that 'nation'. We're ultimately faced with some serious issues: Do we allow democracy only when it suits us, or do we allow it in general? Do we allow people who strive for self-determination to create their own nations with new borders, or do we only allow that for our friends? Do we try to act out of altruism to save people who need and request salvation, and if so do we always do that or only sometimes?
Lynch mobs are democracy, a stable representative government is not easy, and arguably not natural. So it will not happen by itself in a vacuum... in fact a power vacuum will generally result in warlords or some other purely power based organization. We were unusually lucky to have well educated and informed founders, and the luxury to develop without serious external threats.
People watch what happens. They notice hypocrisy. It's not that it's necessarily “western culture”, as much as it is a part of western political culture. Colonialism and greed still runs deep in western politicians' veins.
While hypocrisy is rampant among the political class, greed and fraud seems intrinsic to most undeveloped economies. Greed is not automatically bad as long as rule of law (also sorely lacking in most undeveloped economies ) can keep the fraud and abuses in check.

If i was king of the world, I would impose rule of law every where so people could keep what they earn and  support their families. I would not tell them what to believe or what to do, just what not to do (like don't kill each other ). 

I am not king of the world or likely to ever be.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
With that clarity in the document, and with all those people ending up in government, there was virtually no doubt that the Iraq war was going to happen regardless of what the facts were.
Not inevitable if that information was public before GB was elected.

I'm not sure I understand what “information” you're referring to. The statement by those jokers was public, and so were the statements of the inspectors (regarding the lack of evidence for Iraq having those WMDs). That's why I reject the notion that “everybody thought Iraq had WMDs” when in fact a lot of people didn't. Because a lot of people read the public statements by the inspectors and understood who these people in government were, and what they wanted. It was no coincidence that the anti-war protests in 2003 were the biggest ever before a war.

JohnRoberts said:
Opinion.. it is hard to parse out what is the dominant motivation for "death to America".  while America seems to be identified. I somehow doubt they mean death to Canada or Mexico, but I am not smart enough to know what they think.   

Yep. It is my opinion. It makes sense though, seeing that Canada and the US have a largely similar culture, but the US is the one promoting war in this region.

JohnRoberts said:
and another against the war against reason, morality and intellectual discourse, for lack of better phrasing.
?por que?  are you talking about the college students protesting the first amendment (irony)? Or my arguments?

A war against stone age nonsensical remnants in the Middle East is what I was referring to. The way women and minorities are treated is immoral and anti-intellectual in my opinion. It'd be better if other values became predominant. But it takes leading by example as well as effort.

Back